Photos US and South Korean Forces

Korean medical aides carrying a wounded U.S. Marine from the 5th Marine Regiment from the battlefield during UN forces' fight against North Koreans along Naktong River; the Marines fought to hold the Pusan perimeter at the start of Korean War in August 1950.

(This image could be from a set of photos taken by David Duncan whilst with Baker Cº, 1st Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Provisional Marine Brigade during during the battle to secure No-Name Ridge along the Naktong River, Korea. August/September 1950)

(Source - 'Life' photographer David Douglas Duncan)

(Colourised by Royston Leonard from the UK)

A young US Marine finds a moment of quiet and solitude in which to offer up a prayer for the safety of himself and his comrades. Minutes later, the 1st Marine Division launched an offensive against entrenched North Korean communist troops. c.1951.

US Marine War Photographer Cpl. Eugene Suarez.
(Source - NARA FILE # 127-N-A156900)

(Colorised by Doug)

F-86 Pilot Captain Lonnie R. Moore of 335th FIS 4th FIW in Korea, 1953.

Lonnie R. Moore (13 July 1920 - 10 January 1956) was a U.S. pilot who flew 54 combat missions in Martin B-26 Marauders during World War II, and whom became a double jet ace during the Korean War, downing ten MiG-15s and one probable while flying North American F-86 Sabres.
He was killed in a flying accident involving a new fighter, F-101A-15-MC Voodoo at Eglin AFB, Florida, 10 January 1956 aged 35.

(Nb. this photo could have been taken to mark his 5th 'Kill' on 18 June 1953 in the F-86F Sabre -15 'Billie' 51-12972.
This airplane was lost due to a mid air collision with another Sabre on 11 July 1953, but Lonnie Moore was not the pilot on that day.

On 30 April 1953, Moore was forced to bail out of a disabled F-86F-2, 51-2803, due to an engine stall following cannon-firing, 20 miles Nth of Ch'o Do Island, coming down in the Yellow Sea.
He was plucked from the water as soon as he got out of his parachute harness by a YH-19 helicopter of the 3d Air Rescue Squadron that had monitored his descent.

(Colorized by Tom Thounaojam from India)

A U.S. Navy Grumman F9F-2 Panther (BuNo 123469, nicknamed "Papasan") attached to fighter squadron VF-71, Carrier Air Group Seven (CVG-7), on the USS Bon Homme Richard (CV-31) flies over Task Force 77 engaged operations against North Korean targets on 1 August 1952.
The carriers were USS Bon Homme Richard (CV-31), USS Essex (CV-9) (right) and the USS Princeton (CV-37).

"Papasan," 101/L, was usually flown by LCDR J. M. Hill, commander of VF-71 off the USS Bon Homme Richard.

(Source - U.S. photo no. HN-SN-98-07207; NARA file no. 80-G-480645)

(Colorised by Doug)

Turkish UN troops searching captured Chinese troops for weapons.
8 September 1950.

The Turkish Brigade (code name North Star, Turkish: Şimal Yıldızı or Kutup Yıldızı) was a Turkish Army Infantry Brigade that served with the United Nations Command during the Korean War between 1950 to 1953. Attached to the U.S. 25th Infantry Division the Turkish Brigade fought in several actions, and was awarded Unit Citations from Korea and the United States after fighting in the Kunuri Battle. The Turkish Brigade developed a reputation for its fighting ability, stubborn defense, commitment to mission, and bravery. (wikipedia)

(Colorized by Tom Thounaojam from India)

Red tail Pilot, Robert 'Pancho' Pasqualicchio in his USAF North American F-51D Mustang (FF-742) of the 67th FBS, 18th FGB, 5th AF, taxis through a puddle, at Chinhae, Korea. 1 September 1951.

Original caption: "Not the most ideal taxi way, but still not enough of a hazard to stop operations is this miniature lake formed by torrential Korean rains."

(Source - United States Air Force - National Museum of the USAF photo 070316-F-1234S-004)

(Colorised by Doug)

Taking cover behind their M4A3E8 Sherman tank escort, one man of this Ranger patrol of the 5th Regimental Combat Team, US 24th Infantry Division, uses his M1918A2 BAR to return the heavy Chinese Communist small arms and mortar fire which has them pinned down on the bank of the Han River. At left another soldier uses a field radio to report the situation to headquarters. 23 February 1951

(Source - NARA FILE#: 111-SC-358782)

(Colorised by Doug)

US Marine Ralph W. Barlow of Redondo Beach, California, displays a piece of shrapnel that lodged in his armored vest during front line action in Korea on March 30, 1952.

The impact knocked Barlow to the ground, but the vest was credited with saving him from serious injury.

(Nb. He did survived the war)

(Colourised by Royston Leonard from the UK)

This photograph shows two US Marines, Sergeant Richard E. Cly and an unidentified Marine rifleman displaying a captured North Korean flag after the fierce fighting at Chosin Reservoir in November and December 1950.

Sgt. Cly, of Minneapolis, Minnesota, served with the 2nd Battalion, 7th Marines in Korea.

Capturing an enemy flag is often considered one of the greatest of battlefield achievements and flags are highly prized as both war trophies and souvenirs.

During the Battle of Chosin Reservoir Captain William Barber earned the Medal of Honor for his actions as commander of Fox 2/7. F/2/7 held a position known as "Fox Hill" against vastly superior numbers of Chinese infantry, holding the Toktong Pass open and keeping the 5th Marine Regiment and the 7th Marine Regiment from getting cut off at Yudam-ni. His company's actions to keep the pass open, allowed these two regiments to withdrawal from Yudam-ni and consolidate with the rest of the 1st Marine Division at Hagaru-ri. The mission to relieve F/2/7 on top of Fox Hill also led to LtCol Raymond Davis, then commanding officer of 1st Battalion 7th Marines, receiving the Medal of Honor.
In addition to Chosin, the Battalion participated in the Inchon Landing, the recapture of Seoul and operations along both the Eastern and Western Fronts.

(Source - NARA FILE# : 127-GK-234A-A4692)

(Colourised by Doug)

Infantrymen of the 27th Infantry Regiment, US 25th Infantry Division, on Heartbreak Ridge, take cover inside trenches, no more than 40 yards from enemy positions. August 10, 1952.

Cpl. Benito Martinez Company 'A', 27th Infantry Regiment, 25th Infantry Division, received the Medal of Honor for action near Sat'ae-ri, Korea, September 6, 1952.
Cpl. Martinez, a machine gunner with Company A, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and outstanding courage above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy. While manning a listening post forward of the main line of resistance, his position was attacked by a hostile force of reinforced company strength. In the bitter fighting which ensued, the enemy infiltrated the defense perimeter and, realizing that encirclement was imminent, Cpl. Martinez elected to remain at his post in an attempt to stem the onslaught. In a daring defense, he raked the attacking troops with crippling fire, inflicting numerous casualties. Although contacted by sound power phone several times, he insisted that no attempt be made to rescue him because of the danger involved. Soon thereafter, the hostile forces rushed the emplacement, forcing him to make a limited withdrawal with only an automatic rifle and pistol to defend himself. After a courageous 6-hour stand and shortly before dawn, he called in for the last time, stating that the enemy was converging on his position His magnificent stand enabled friendly elements to reorganize, attack, and regain the key terrain. Cpl. Martinez' incredible valor and supreme sacrifice reflect lasting glory upon himself and are in keeping with the honored traditions of the military service.

(Colorized by Noah Werner Winslow from the USA)

Marine Dwayne L. Boice (Kansas City), 3rd Battalion 5th US Marines, burns out a weapons emplacement.
North Korean gunpit, Wolmi-do island, Inchon. 15 September 1950.

This sandbagged gun pit was dug into rear of a slit trench. Table, bench and other items show how completely the sudden bombardment and assault came, for the defenders.

This 351' peak dominated the other major assault beaches, Red Beach to the North and Blue Beach to the South, which was why the capture of Wolmi-Do was the key to the entire Inchon invasion.

3/5's assault companies G and H, landed by LCVPs from the APDs (Attack Transports), quickly overwhelmed most of the North Korean defenders. But not all. Once the remnants partly recovered, they showered grenades down on I Company, 3/5's reserves, who came in the 3rd Wave and were mopping up in support.

Unfortunately for the NK, Comstock (LSD 19) and Fort Marion (LSD 22) had also landed 6-M26 tanks and this flame thrower team, and they killed all NK who would not clearly surrender.

On this day Wolmi-do, with its 200-yard "beach" of sand and rocks, its low-revetment and supporting ridge, its dominating peak and stubborn defenders fell. Seoul was 25 miles further inland. Ten bloody days of fighting remained before MacArthur would claim the capitol as again free. Seoul changed hands two times again during the next several months.

The M2-2 Flame thrower had a fuel capacity of 4 gallons and weighed approximately 70 pounds, fully loaded. The resultant stream of liquid flame could carry over 50 yards.
The napalm-gasoline fuel was propelled by a gas system of pressurized nitrogen, flow rate controlled by the rear hand grip. Leaving the nozzle the fuel was spark-lit by a battery-powered pyrotechnic ignition system controlled by the trigger in the front hand grip. (

“After we got to Korea, I was a bazooka gunner (like a rocket launcher — knocks out tanks) and a flamer-thrower operator.” “They picked the littlest guy to carry the meanest weapons because they’re harder to hit, they make a smaller target. Your life expectancy for a flame-thrower operator was two minutes!” I asked if he knew that fact. He chuckled, “Nooo…not ‘til after I got hit! That’s a very dangerous position. That’s where I got hit – the first time in Inchon, I was carrying a flame-thrower. I didn’t use the bazooka over there at all, it was mainly the flame-thrower.”
I asked if he chose to be a flame-thrower, he emphatically replied, “Hell no I didn’t! You don’t have a say-so. Unless you refuse – then you’ll be court-martialed. When I first got hit, I was hit in my left leg! It was very painful and it knocked me down, and when I got up, I felt something running down my leg, I wasn’t sure if it was urine or blood. Low and behold it was blood.
They got me aboard a ship and got me all patched up in September 1950. I was on the ship about week and a half when the ship went up to Won Son, up the Yalu River. By then winter set it, and by the time we got to where we wanted to go, the temperature was 20 to 30 below. That’s when I got hit again! It was around the first of December. That was a bad hit — that’s the one that knocked out two inches from my leg — and it was the same leg!”
I was curious how it knocked out two inches from his leg. He explained, “I was hit by three machine gun bullets. The bottom bone and top bone of my leg were pulled together to mend — they were going to let it mend, grow back, break it again and put a metal plate in it — but by then I was in a Navy hospital in Great Lakes, Illinois. I was in a body cast for 10 months. It was ‘terrible! I was 20 years old and had nothing to do but read books. It was a spica cast that went from my waste all the way down my left leg and halfway down my right leg. I finally got to come home after 30 days, and then I was discharged.”
For both of his injuries that my father endured during the war, he received two separate purple hearts.
(By courtesy of his Korean adopted daughter MeeSun Boice)

Dwayne L. Boice, 81, of Kansas City, Kansas passed away February 22, 2012.

Colourised by Paul Reynolds.

US Marine's M-26 Pershing tanks scramble around the edge of a burning Korean village lately occupied by North Koreans, to get at an enemy tank delaying their advance. 4 September 1950
(Original caption)

If this date is correct, then we think this could be an M-26 of the US 72nd Tank Battalion, 2nd Infantry Div., during the American counteroffensive of September 3–5 west of Yongsan.

(Source - NARA - photographer Sgt. Frank C Kerr USMC)

(Colorised by Benoit Vne from France.)

Lt. J.J. Schneider, St. Louis, sits on the wing of a F-51 Mustang fighter plane of 18th FBG, 12th FBS with Capt. J.B. Hannon, right, from Omaha, Nebraska at an airfield in Korea (possibly Chinhae Air Base) on January 15, 1951.

Between them is ‘Admiration Dog,’ the mascot of their wing, who it was said, sometimes flew with the airmen.

Lt. Schneider had completed 100 missions in Korea since June 27 1950 (two days after the outbreak of the war). He was soon due to return to the U.S. and planned to wed Miss Betty Rosholm, who was ‘Miss Omaha of 1950’.

Capt. Hannon was shot down in World War 2 over Germany, and was also shot down over Korea but escaped capture.

(Source - AP Photo/Jim Pringle)

From the start of the Korean War, the Mustang once again proved useful. A substantial number of stored or in-service F-51Ds were shipped, via aircraft carriers, to the combat zone and were used by the USAF, and the Republic of Korea Air Force (ROKAF). The F-51 was used for ground attack, fitted with rockets and bombs, and photo-reconnaissance, rather than being as interceptors or "pure" fighters. After the first North Korean invasion, USAF units were forced to fly from bases in Japan, and the F-51Ds, with their long range and endurance, could attack targets in Korea that short-ranged F-80 jets could not. Because of the vulnerable liquid cooling system, however, the F-51s sustained heavy losses to ground fire.

(Colourised by Doug)

Three U.S. Marines, wearing full packs, fire from behind a barricade during the battle of Seoul, Korea on September 29, 1950.

On the front of the building overlooking the battleground are pictures of Premier Joseph Stalin and Kim Il Sung, premier and commander in chief of the North Korean Army.

The liberation of Seoul was celebrated with the return of South Korean President Syngman Rhee and U.S. Army General Douglas MacArthur, appearing together at a noontime ceremony to mark the return of the government to the capital, which had been seized by the People's Army of North Korea in June.
General MacArthur declared to the crowd, "By the grace of a merciful Providence, our forces, fighting under the standard of that greatest home and inspiration of mankind, the United Nations, have liberated this ancient city of Seoul."; at the same time, choosing to liberate Seoul rather than cutting off the escape of the North Koreans from Pusan, allowed 30,000 enemy troops to flee back across the border.

(Colorized by Noah Werner Winslow from the USA)


Similar threads