Other Post Post your Internet speed

Well, the minimum wage is about 230 Euros.

Well, the minimum wage is about 230 Euros.

I work a lot with the 3rd World countries and hear complaints all the time that stuff costs just as much there as in developed nations. Unfortunately, even if one discounts local taxes and corruption due to monopolies, sweet exclusive deals, and price fixing, if an item lets say costs $100 to make it should be priced higher than $100 for a company to make a profit. Doesn't matter if the item is being sold in Cameroon or Canada.

Last edited:
We are behind Europe/US in many aspects, but we do have high speed, cheap internet connections.
That connection is about 8.5 Euros/month. I have a 300 Mbps one for about 6 Euros/month.
I have multiple services from the same provider so the the price is even lower

I work a lot with the 3rd World countries and hear complaints all the time that stuff costs just as much there as in developed nations. Unfortunately, even if one discounts local taxes and corruption due to monopolies, sweet exclusive deals, and price fixing, if an item lets say costs $100 to make it should be priced higher than $100 for a company to make a profit. Doesn't matter if the item is being sold in Cameroon or Canada.
So let me tell all of you a story:

Back when a monthly high speed internet subscription was a lot of money, about 50$ iirc. We did the following, since we live in tightly packed apartment buildings. One person bought a monthly subscription. When the internet was setup at that person we bought network switches and a lot of UTP cable and with a small server or even without one people started to use the same connection, and the price was split between all the users. So a 50$ subscription became a 10$ for five people :)

And then the madness started, we crossed streets, boulevards, power lines, we had switches in trees, on buildings and when the word spread that there were 30-40 people connected in a Local Area Network it started expanding and each neighborhood had them in the big cities.
The one i was connected to maxed out at 300 IP addresses on an area of roughly 500x500 meters.
This is where i got my first job, installing network switches and cables in people's houses that wanted fast internet connections.
Then "wars" stared between competing "network providers", kids and teens like us between 15-25 years old, we used to cut each others cables to get rid of the competition and sometimes police was involved in one way or another.

It was like that until about 2007-2008 when big companies upgraded to fiber optics and prices droped to about 10$.