17th "Wielkopolska" Mechanized Brigade, Polish Military Contingent in Romania, August 2019

68565365_2164148300550651_5533128821802270720_o.jpg
68641561_2164145473884267_1465216135841447936_o.jpg
68702235_2164145770550904_2084020635708686336_o.jpg
68789537_2164142853884529_759542404834394112_o.jpg
68930196_2164151237217024_3075632939728371712_o.jpg
68938555_2164147023884112_2881252465192206336_o.jpg
68967820_2164150883883726_7029784530567299072_o.jpg
69148597_2164147863884028_3579897834406674432_o.jpg
69241842_2164149267217221_2700118855207878656_o.jpg
69401962_2164149150550566_6727041743390244864_o.jpg

Thank you @BravoZulu. I will add some information.
30 August 2019 Huta Stalowa Wola (HSW) announced that during the XXVIII International Defense Industry Exhibition MSPO in Kielce (3-6 September) will present its flagship products, including the prototype of the floating ICV "Borsuk" ("Badger" in English),

%2Fprocess%2Fphoto%2Ffiles%2Fnews%2Fphotos%2F2%2F2769%2Fhsw_mspo2019_00.jpg

hsw_mspo2019_03.jpg

tracked 120-mm "Rak" ("Crawfish" in English) automatic mortar

%2Fprocess%2Fphoto%2Ffiles%2Fnews%2Fphotos%2F2%2F2769%2Fhsw_mspo2019_01.jpg

hsw_mspo2019_04.jpg

and "Baobab-K" ("Baobab" wheeled) mine-laying vehicle (PMN) with four mines launcher units.

%2Fprocess%2Fphoto%2Ffiles%2Fnews%2Fphotos%2F2%2F2769%2Fhsw_mspo2019_02.jpg

hsw_mspo2019_05.jpg

In turn, the ŁUKASIEWICZ - PIAP Institute consortium will present a technology demonstrator created in cooperation with Telesystem - Mesko, Autonomous Combat System of Air Defense ASBOP - "PERKUN" ("Perkun" - in Lithuanian - Perkūns, Perkuns, in Latvian - Perkonos, Old Prussian - Perkunis - one of the most important and senior representatives of the pantheon of the ancient Balts, corresponding to the Slavic Perun. Lord of thunder and storm.).
The ASBOP - "PERKUN" system is a combination of high tactical mobility with an instant response to emerging air threats such as winged rockets, unmanned aerial vehicles, helicopters, combat aircraft and others. GROM / PIORUN missiles are the basic weapon of the system.
The robot has its own detection means. It is also adapted to work with in-home recognition systems. Targets for him are indicated from an external command system, a radar system cooperating with the system, an infrared alerter or simply detected using his own optoelectronic devices. Most importantly, the system operator remains in a safe place, away from battle stations and has the ability to coordinate the activities of several combat robots simultaneously.

piap_mesko.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you @BravoZulu. I will add some information.
30 August 2019 Huta Stalowa Wola (HSW) announced that during the XXVIII International Defense Industry Exhibition MSPO in Kielce (3-6 September) will present its flagship products, including the prototype of the floating ICV "Borsuk" ("Badger" in English),

tracked 120-mm "Rak" ("Carcinoma" in English) automatic mortar

View attachment 188933

Nobody in his right mind would name anything after a type of an aggressive cancer. The correct translation is Crawfish

Could you provide us more information about ICV "Borsuk" ? I cannot find any information about it. Thanks.

Floating Infantry Fighting Vehicle "Borsuk" - a project implemented on the basis of a contract from 2014, co-financed by the Polish National Center for Research and Development.
The new Floating Infantry Fighting Vehicle is capable of overcoming water obstacles by swimming and is able to operate in various terrain and climate conditions. FIFV "Borsuk" will be designed to protect the crew and landing troops against bullets from small arms and anti-tank grenade launchers, as well as against mine and IED explosions.
Crew: 3 + 6 soldiers,
Combat mass: 25,000 kg (floating version)
total length: 7.6 m
width: with armor panels: 3.4 m
MTU 8V199 TE20 diesel engine 710 HP with hydropneumatic suspension and with rubber tracks (originally they were steel).
The armament is the 30mm Orbital ATK Mk 44S Bushmaster II automatic cannon, 7.62 mm UKM-2000C machine gun and double SPIKE anti-tank guided missile launcher in unmanned turret (data from 2018).

840_472_matched__px75yd_bor12b.jpg
px76bb_bor14a.jpg
px76da_bor15a.jpg
px760q_bor06a.jpg
px767g_bor11a.jpg
px767w_bor11b.jpg
px769t_bor13b.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks @Conhoon , so, it can float with these armour pannels , or to have the floating capacity they must be removed?

I undestand that the floating capacity doesn´t implie a sea anfibious capacity, but implies river wading capacity, isn´t it?

It´s a very interesting vehicle.

HSW (manufacturer) does not provide exact technical assumptions yet. When it comes to armor, this solution is analogous to the wheeled ICV "Rosomak" (Wolverine), i.e. replaceable armor panels - standard for swimming and basic protection as well or heavy with much more resistant but excluding swimming. On August 9, 2019, "Badger" underwent an 8 kg TNT explosion test under the bottom of the hull. He also underwent tests - static and dynamic - of buoyancy, both within the pools of the research center (tightness, balance and stability) and in open water. Nothing is known about the possibility of swimming in the sea (at what state of the sea it is possible). It is only known that during tests carried out at the Zegrze Reservoir near Warsaw, Borsuk achieved performance (water speed and maneuverability) higher than assumed in the project. A vehicle with full mass equivalent of the ZSSW-30 tower system was used in these tests.
Sorry for my English.

px76ft_BorsukwHucie.jpg

HSW (manufacturer) does not provide exact technical assumptions yet. When it comes to armor, this solution is analogous to the wheeled ICV "Rosomak" (Wolverine), i.e. replaceable armor panels - standard for swimming and basic protection as well or heavy with much more resistant but excluding swimming. On August 9, 2019, "Badger" underwent an 8 kg TNT explosion test under the bottom of the hull. He also underwent tests - static and dynamic - of buoyancy, both within the pools of the research center (tightness, balance and stability) and in open water. Nothing is known about the possibility of swimming in the sea (at what state of the sea it is possible). It is only known that during tests carried out at the Zegrze Reservoir near Warsaw, Borsuk achieved performance (water speed and maneuverability) higher than assumed in the project. A vehicle with full mass equivalent of the ZSSW-30 tower system was used in these tests.
Sorry for my English.

View attachment 188976
Thank you for the excellent photos.
Will serial production begin within the next 3-5 years?

The tracked RAK vehicle appears to be utilizing a legacy suspension?

Answer to the question @TIGREDELAIRE - unfortunately I do not have photos from swimming trials of the current version.
363666_r0_620.jpg

This is early version.

Answer to the questions @Tymotka - as far as "Borsuk" is concerned, work according to the schedule should be carried out until 2021, later a decision will be made on possible deliveries or extending the program.
As for the hull tracked "Rak" is the body of the hull remained as in previous LPG (Light Tracked Chassis) but the suspension was redesigned.

Sorry for my English

Last edited:
Answer to the questions @Tymotka - as far as "Borsuk" is concerned, work according to the schedule should be carried out until 2021, later a decision will be made on possible deliveries or extending the program.
As for the hull tracked "Rak" is the body of the hull remained as in previous LPG (Light Tracked Chassis) but the suspension was redesigned.

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully production will be on the horizon soon after 2021.

@Conhoon are you guys planning to upgrade your MI-24 fleet? Sorry my Polish is not good enough to understand if this is serious proposal or not.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Mi-24 Modernization

Yes @berkut76 , you translated it well. Most of the work related to the construction of new components was to be carried out by Military Aviation Works (WZL) No. 1, certified for work on this type of helicopter. The components needed for ground handling are to be provided by the Military Central Construction and Technology Bureau (WCBKT). Zakłady Mechaniczne Tarnów is responsible for the integration of small arms, while Rafael and Mesko are to provide missiles that are the main weapon. The Air Force Institute of Technology (ITWL) together with the Military Electronic Works (WZE) and WZL No. 1 modernized the equipment of the shooter's and pilot's cabins.
The aim of the work is to be reconstruction of the combat potential of Mi-24 helicopters. Helicopters are to regain the ability to armored targets, reconnaissance and command of operations from the air and combat air targets. The helicopter equipped with new Polish software will also be able to communicate with UAVs produced by ITWL.
The modernization includes the development of modern detection, warning and prevention systems against beam radiation, new communication systems, armament, communication and inertial navigation systems, instruments adapted to flights in night vision goggles (including modern multi-functional displays, which are a development of those used in the W3 "Głuszec" ), a modernized head-up sight and an electro-optical head with a target and a laser pointer.
The main armament of the rebuilt MI-24 are to be provided by Rafael, 170-mm anti-tank Spike ER2, LR2 missiles and long-range missiles Spike NLOS. The weapon is to be coupled with the observation head provided by Rafael.
Mesko proposed the installation of a double anti-aircraft guided missile launcher "Piorun" on the LZR support beam, which can also be integrated with the W-3W "Sokół" and W-3PL "Głuszec" helicopters. The helicopter would also receive a WW-15 15-guide multi-barrel launcher for 70-mm Mesko non-guided missiles.
ZM Tarnów proposed installation of a 12.7-mm four-barrel WLKM machine gun with a theoretical rate of fire of 3600 rpm. It would replace the 12.7-mm large-caliber JakB-12.7 machine gun of Soviet production.

Helicopters modernized in this way would help maintain the capabilities of assault helicopter units until new helicopters are introduced as part of the "Kruk"("Crow") program. However, I am afraid that due to limited funds, the Mi24 modernization program will be limited.

Sorry for my English.

Yes @berkut76 , you translated it well. Most of the work related to the construction of new components was to be carried out by Military Aviation Works (WZL) No. 1, certified for work on this type of helicopter. The components needed for ground handling are to be provided by the Military Central Construction and Technology Bureau (WCBKT). Zakłady Mechaniczne Tarnów is responsible for the integration of small arms, while Rafael and Mesko are to provide missiles that are the main weapon. The Air Force Institute of Technology (ITWL) together with the Military Electronic Works (WZE) and WZL No. 1 modernized the equipment of the shooter's and pilot's cabins.
The aim of the work is to be reconstruction of the combat potential of Mi-24 helicopters. Helicopters are to regain the ability to armored targets, reconnaissance and command of operations from the air and combat air targets. The helicopter equipped with new Polish software will also be able to communicate with UAVs produced by ITWL.
The modernization includes the development of modern detection, warning and prevention systems against beam radiation, new communication systems, armament, communication and inertial navigation systems, instruments adapted to flights in night vision goggles (including modern multi-functional displays, which are a development of those used in the W3 "Głuszec" ), a modernized head-up sight and an electro-optical head with a target and a laser pointer.
The main armament of the rebuilt MI-24 are to be provided by Rafael, 170-mm anti-tank Spike ER2, LR2 missiles and long-range missiles Spike NLOS. The weapon is to be coupled with the observation head provided by Rafael.
Mesko proposed the installation of a double anti-aircraft guided missile launcher "Piorun" on the LZR support beam, which can also be integrated with the W-3W "Sokół" and W-3PL "Głuszec" helicopters. The helicopter would also receive a WW-15 15-guide multi-barrel launcher for 70-mm Mesko non-guided missiles.
ZM Tarnów proposed installation of a 12.7-mm four-barrel WLKM machine gun with a theoretical rate of fire of 3600 rpm. It would replace the 12.7-mm large-caliber JakB-12.7 machine gun of Soviet production.

Helicopters modernized in this way would help maintain the capabilities of assault helicopter units until new helicopters are introduced as part of the "Kruk"("Crow") program. However, I am afraid that due to limited funds, the Mi24 modernization program will be limited.

Sorry for my English.

Thank you. Your English is excellent, no need to apologize. From Ukrainian side, I've heard very credible rumors that Ukraine is interested in this project and wants to take part. The reason that Ukraine is interested in many of the Polish modernization ventures is because of de facto arms embargo, and Ukrainian officials hope that this could be the way to circumvent it.