Mil News Polish Armed Forces News

Musashi

Mi Field Marshall
MI.Net Member
United-Kingdom
Poland is going to buy a numer of M1A2 SEPv3 Abrams MBTs fro the U.S.A.
Contrary to what this article says, the number is still unknown:

Another purchase without a comprehensive armed forces equipment plan. In recent years, not only bridges and pontoon bridges, but also transport trailers and rail cars, have been purchased with different weights and dimensions. After purchasing the Abrams, all this equipment will be replaced. I will not even mention the logistics of parts for the M1A2SEPv3, because even in the US Army there are vehicles with very different equipment completion. ?

Why didn't they go for the Leopard 2, do you happen to know? I don't see the merit of maintaining a fleet of two main battle tanks. Logistically, it's a nightmare.

Poland is going to buy a numer of M1A2 SEPv3 Abrams MBTs fro the U.S.A.
Contrary to what this article says, the number is still unknown:
Deliveries of the first Abrams tanks will start in 2022. They will go to the 1st "Warszawska" Armoured Brigade and the 19th "Lubelska" Mechanized Brigade (part of the 18th "Żelazna" Mechanized Division). The total number of tanks will approach around 250.

20171120raaf8185068_0129-2.jpg

The purchase of tanks, command vehicles, technical support vehicles, medical evacuation vehicles, simulators, large stocks of ammunition (including programmable ammunition), a training and logistics package, and the expansion of infrastructure are to cost PLN 23.3 billion.

It turns out that I live in a very rich country o_O

Last edited:
On the other hand, it's bye bye to the T-72 which lost all combat capability long, long ago.

The Twardys should go too, but probably won't.
The modification of the T-72 in the version that was introduced is a mistake. We should say goodbye to the T-72 years ago, but we could do it in cooperation with, for example, Koreans, with the transfer of production to Poland. It made sense to do so. Now it is just frantically patching a hole in the equipment of military units without increasing the capacity of the industry and with a burden on the economy.

The modification of the T-72 in the version that was introduced is a mistake. We should say goodbye to the T-72 years ago, but we could do it in cooperation with, for example, Koreans, with the transfer of production to Poland. It made sense to do so. Now it is just frantically patching a hole in the equipment of military units without increasing the capacity of the industry and with a burden on the economy.
Hopefully there is not an imminent reason they are suddenly so frantic, after years of leisurely plodding along with analytical study after study.

Reminds me of the belated attempt to buy French & British aircraft at the last minute prior to September 1st.

When they start producing Borsuks next month then we should all start digging shelters!mil-smile04

Hopefully there is not an imminent reason they are suddenly so frantic, after years of leisurely plodding along with analytical study after study.

Reminds me of the belated attempt to buy French & British aircraft at the last minute prior to September 1st.

When they start producing Borsuks next month then we should all start digging shelters!mil-smile04
I have similar observations.
Or - which would be a little less bad for me - "Big Brother" got upset with shopping from Turks and talking with Koreans and showed our government the only right choice ...

Why didn't they go for the Leopard 2, do you happen to know? I don't see the merit of maintaining a fleet of two main battle tanks. Logistically, it's a nightmare.

Probably, the major reason is, Leopards cannot be delivered too fast and the Polish Army would not be the priority for any future deliveries either.

I have similar observations.
Or - which would be a little less bad for me - "Big Brother" got upset with shopping from Turks and talking with Koreans and showed our government the only right choice ...
Head of the Polish Ministry of Defence, Mariusz Błaszczak added that identical MBTs would soon be transported to the storage facilities the US Army has established in Poland (Powidz AB).

You are correct. This was a quid pro quo for the Americans to put combat power into Poland.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, especially since it was financed outside of the defence budget, and the T-72s can finally go to the scrap yard (or Africa/Asia) but my personal opinion is that 120 or so additional HOMARS may be better bang for the buck.

Last edited:
Head of the Polish Ministry of Defence, Mariusz Błaszczak added that identical MBTs would soon be transported to the storage facilities the US Army has established in Poland (Powidz AB).

You are correct. This was a quid pro quo for the Americans to put combat power into Poland.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, especially since it was financed outside of the defence budget, and the T-72s can finally go to the scrap yard (or Africa/Asia) but my personal opinion is that 120 or so additional HOMARS may be better bang for the buck.
... or the strengthening of medium-range air defense.

Modernising the T-72M/M1s was a purely political decision that did not make any sense from the beginning. These tanks are far inferior to the PT-91. We are going to spend 1.8bn PLN just to modernise the communication and optical devices. The gun, the ammunition, the armour and the fire control system won’t be upgraded.
Upon hearing that decision, general Skrzyczak, the former chief of staff, said: “on today’s battlefield, our T-72's combat capabilities are none or next to none at best. This modernisation is like applying makeup on a piece of sh1t”.

The general was right, of course, but our politicians got it right after Armenian T-72s, that were much more modern comparing to Polish T-72s, were phucked up by drones.
The thing is, the politicians wasted some insane money on something that is going to scrapped/phased out very soon.

Last edited:
An interesting thing about this Abrams procurement is that it was financed outside the MOD budget. Apparently, there are more acquisitions coming down the road that will be financed in a similar manner.
Poland needs everything, and interest rates are low right now, so a lot of antiquated kit may finally be upgraded.
I wouldn't have thought that the Abrams would have been a priority, but the LATP has been struggling... until Oz and Poland stepped in.

Last edited:
They are getting the Abrams I believe?
yes

Polish MOD signed contract with PGZ to acquire 3 frigates codename "Miecznik" (could translate to two- Swordfish or Killer Whale/orca).
They said that first ship will launch in 4 yrs. MOD didn't specify anything else than they will be "best of the best, newest", they are to be build in Poland and we should get as much technology transfer as possible. Afaik we will probably sign contract with UK, Spain or Germany. More info about it here
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.