An attack by Soviet soldiers on a destroyed house captured by German troops in Stalingrad.

1612197248790.png

The riflemen of Lieutenant Rogov's unit are fighting on the outskirts of Stalingrad. November 1942.

Photo rare in the frame of the Tokarev SVT-40 self-loading rifle in sniper version. The SVT-40 sniper version was inferior in accuracy and effective firing range to the Mosin sniper rifle of the 1891/30 model, and therefore by the middle of the war it was replaced in production with an outdated and less rapid-fire, but more accurate "mosinka".

Author: Emmanuel Evzerikhin.

1612197465544.png

The commander of a platoon of machine gunners of the 241st Rifle Regiment of the 95th Rifle Division Sergeant Pavel Yakovlevich Goldberg in one of the workshops of the destroyed plant "Barricades", Stalingrad, November 11, 1942. Author: Georgy Zelma.

1612197827988.png
1612197849320.png

Well, if so, I can share a large archive of photographs dedicated to the Battle of Stalingrad. This battle, in my opinion, was a grandiose turning point in the course of the entire Second World War. Near Moscow the Germans suffered their first strategic defeat, in Stalingrad there was a turning point in the war, and near Kursk the Germans lost their strategic initiative.

YES.....I think I speak for all the members here--POST THEM!!! We'd love to see the photos you guys got over there of that pivotal battle, Lets See Them!!!
And I agree that was a beast of a battle and it put the Nazi's on their heels for ever after--for sure a turning point!!

Злой и упрямый, по грудь в земле,
Насмерть солдат стоял.
Знал он, что нет дороги назад –
Он защищал Сталинград.

(Zloy i upryamyy, po grud' v zemle,
Nasmert' soldat stoyal.
Znal on, chto net dorogi nazad –
On zashchishchal Stalingrad.)

Angry and stubborn, сhest-deep in the ground,
The soldier stood to death.
He knew that there was no turning back -
He defended Stalingrad.

Stalingrad before the war was the largest industrial center of the entire USSR. There were many factories and enterprises in the city - "Stalingrad Tractor Plant", "Red October" plant, "Barrikady" plant, "Metiz" plant and many others. The city had a large river port for ships sailing along the Volga. The city itself was beautiful, clean and green - this city had the largest number of trees in the USSR. The Stalingrad embankment of the Volga was the most beautiful in the USSR.

View attachment 275441View attachment 275442View attachment 275443View attachment 275446View attachment 275444View attachment 275445

...but what the German air and artillery raids and multi-day battles turned him into. In the city itself, not a single whole block remained, not a single whole house. Before the battles, many evacuees and wounded appeared in the city. Orphanages rescued from the Germans were brought to the city. The brutal raids of the first days of the battles (when the German aircraft destroyed the city almost completely) led to the death of many civilians. The exact number of the dead is still unknown, but the count is definitely in the tens of thousands. The Soviet army was able to take part of the population to safe areas, but it was simply physically impossible to save several hundred thousand civilians.

View attachment 275447View attachment 275448View attachment 275449View attachment 275450
In every thing I've read and seen in my years I've always found Stalingrad to be just a lovely place unlike anywhere else in Russia! These pictures are no exception, as beautiful as anything in Europe....until the Nazi's got there! The bastards went a country too far!!

In every thing I've read and seen in my years I've always found Stalingrad to be just a lovely place unlike anywhere else in Russia! These pictures are no exception, as beautiful as anything in Europe....until the Nazi's got there! The bastards went a country too far!!

Stalingrad was a beautiful city, I admit it, but the words "unlike anything else in Russia" are a little strange. Perhaps now the cities of Russia are partly and look repulsive - it's hard to deny. The destruction of the USSR, the gangster 1990s, two wars in Chechnya and a civil war in the fall of 93 did their job. In thirty years of capitalism, 75% of the country's industrial enterprises have been destroyed. This is more than Hitler destroyed. And now the country, which was one of the world's leading powers, is unable to produce even its own bearings - all our enterprises were destroyed.

But, however, I digress. The USSR in the 1930s was a very beautiful place. Everywhere they began to build houses for workers, numerous dilapidated barracks of tsarist times disappeared from the images of cities. New houses in the "Stalinist Empire" style, cultural and leisure places - parks, squares, embankments - began to be ennobled everywhere and in every possible way. The cities began to be greened very massively. So Stalingrad was, of course, a very beautiful place, but not the only one. Also, the Nazis, for example, almost completely destroyed Kharkov. There were four battles for Kharkov, the city suffered very badly. Kiev, Minsk, Smolensk suffered greatly... Many cities. Numerous architectural monuments were destroyed on the outskirts of Leningrad. And the "amber room" taken out by the Germans has not yet been found. I repeat, the invasion of Hitler's Germany destroyed more than 30% of the country's entire material well-being. But, despite this, the USSR became the first country in Europe to abolish the rationing system (in 1947, with a new monetary reform). Over the course of several years, it was gradually possible to reach the pre-war level of production, create the first nuclear reactor in Europe, create a nuclear bomb in 1949, and in 1961 send the first man in history into space. By the way, Yuri Gagarin studied in my city, in Orenburg.

P.S. Our flight school existed for more than 70 years, many future generals and heroes of the Soviet Union came out of its walls. The school has gone through a lot. But not "stability" and capitalism. You can see the state of the building by typing "Гагаринская летка, Оренбург" in Google. And, you know, somehow everything happened without Hitler and the Nazis...

Good afternoon. Several new projects have emerged in the NShGO community, where my main activity is. Therefore, unfortunately, in the near future I will not post materials so often. I think in a week or two I'll be back firmly :)

Stalingrad, February 1943. Soviet military with a Nazi flag captured onthe banks of the Volga.

146523515_2770211729906848_2905106525432120712_n.jpg