Funny A joke or what?

John A Silkstone

Mi General
MI.Net Member
I've just returned from a few days in Spain and among my emails was this from a friend. Can it true?????

Sarah Palin proves critics wrong by naming three countries

Republican Candidate Sarah Palin claims that she is more than ready to take on the job of Vice President after successfully naming three different nation states during cross-examination on her grasp of foreign affairs. With the governor of Alaska coming under increased scrutiny over the past few weeks, a number of political commentators had raised concerns over the suitability of the surprise choice to become the second most powerful person in the world. They pointed to the fact that until very recently she had never been out of North America and only acquired a passport last year.

The issue came to a head in a tense press conference yesterday when a journalist put her right on the spot and asked to name as many countries as she could. But the Republican nominee was proud to have passed the test with flying colours, later modestly confessing to being ‘pretty surprised I could remember so many.’

Mrs Palin got off to a great start with ‘America’ and soon followed this up with ‘Canada’ to a smattering of applause from the press pack. After a delay of several minutes and some conferring with her advisors she completed her hat-trick with ‘Disneyland’ and the assembled journalists stood and applauded her in-depth knowledge of global affairs. ‘That’s soooo impressive’ said one of the reporters who were clearly so overjoyed by her achievements that many of them were openly laughing. She later withdrew a statement saying that ‘she had got all of them’ and amended this to ‘all the important ones anyway.’

Other possible countries that were overheard during her whispered discussion with her staff were ‘‘The North Pole?’, ‘Narnia?’, ‘Latin’, and ‘China’ which was later discounted as being ‘just another word for crockery’.’ John McCain later congratulated his his deputy on her achievements but was asked why she left out Iran. ‘Because there is no such country as Iran’ he explained ‘At least there won’t be by the end of my first term.’

More to this lady then a pretty face

On the city council, Palin successfully supported a measure allowing Wasilla's bars to stay open two hours longer. (she has my vote right here)
As mayor, she reduced her own $68,000 salary by 10%.
She kept a jar with the names of Wasilla residents on her desk, and once a week she pulled a name from it and picked up the phone; she would ask: "How's the city doing?"
She cut property taxes by 75% and eliminated personal property and business inventory taxes.
Tapping municipal bonds, she made improvements to the roads and sewers and increased funding to the Police Department.
She also oversaw new bike paths and procured funding for storm-water treatment to protect freshwater resources.
She reduced spending on the town museum and blocked construction of a new library and city hall.
She won re-election with a majority of 74%.
She chaired the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission and served as Ethics Supervisor, but resigned protesting what she called the "lack of ethics" of fellow Republican members.
After resigning, Palin filed a formal complaint against Oil and Gas Conservation Commissioner Randy Ruedrich, also the chair of the state Republican Party, accusing him of doing work for the party on public time and of working closely with a company he was supposed to be regulating.
She also filed a complaint against Gregg Renkes, a former Alaska Attorney General, accusing him of having a financial conflict of interest in negotiating a coal exporting trade agreement, while Renkes was the subject of investigation and after records suggesting a possible conflict of interest had been released to the public.[66] Ruedrich and Renkes both resigned and Ruedrich paid a record $12,000 fine.[59][67]
As governor, she used her veto power to make the second-largest cuts of the construction budget in state history. The $237 million in cuts represented over 300 local projects, and reduced the construction budget to $1.6 billion.
In 2008 Palin vetoed $286 million, cutting or reducing funding for 350 projects from the FY09 capital budget.
She listed the state’s private governor’s jet , a Westwind II on eBay, but the sale fell through, and the plane was later sold for $2.1 million through a private brokerage firm. She does not use the former governor's private chef, and her gubernatorial expenses are 80% below those of her predecessor.
Alaska State revenues doubled to $10 billion in 2008, and there is no sales tax or income tax.
She has requested $95 million to $150 million fewer earmarks or funding requests during each of her years in office than her predecessor.

She may only know the names of three countries, but she sure knows how to save money.

I wish there were more like her.

Hi Rotorwash, how are you keeping? Fit and well I hope.

I’d like to thank you for information you have given us. It’s like I’ve always said ‘For the media to make money that have to bend the truth to their way of thinking.’ The items above will sell in local papers but no where else, so they print things that doesn’t really reflect the person and call it news, under the heading of ‘The people must know’.

The old adage of ‘Never believe what you hear and only believe half of what you see.’ Still stands today.

Silky

The election through an Irishman's eyes

Hello Silky, yes, I'm busy, gearing up for retirement. The first thing I have to do is quit coaching, 10 and 12 hour days are for the young of body. In five years I'm done teaching and then we will spend all of our time pestering the grandkids.

This thread is the Joker, so I will pass along one that my brother sent me.

He got an e-mail from a guy in Ireland:

What's up with you Yanks???? You talk about electing a female lawyer who wears the pants in the family, and is married to another lawyer who can't keep his pants on, and then you throw her out for another lawyer. On the other hand you have a real war hero with a respectable "Mc" in his name whose wife owns a beer distributorship. What is the problem??

Regards,

RW