Question? Information Needed Please

tessa85

Mi Recruit
MI.Net Member
Hi bombardier,

I'm hoping you can help me?
I'm researching a family member whose service number was T/7878201, 2 res M/T coy.

I would like to know abit more about his regiment and what his job entailed as he died in Crete on the 20th may 1941. No body was ever found as far as I'm aware!

Please may you help?
Kind regards,
Tess

I will see what i can dig up for you, have you looked for information via google etc

Hi Bombarier,

I have indeed googled it and it comes up with different results...and how the 2 res m/t coys were in a different part to where the person I'm looking for was killed. I'm so confused! This is not my strong point, I know more about Monté cassino, Polish corps. The person in question died aged 32,from gloucester,and I'm presuming T/7878201 2 res m/t coy means reserves motor transport corps!
The T stands for transport and I don't know what 2 stands for! Im really out of my depth here, and really hope you can help me?!? Thank you so much for replying,

Kind regards
Tess

I found this document available from the National Archives
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C163559
It may cover the regiment in france but could possibly give you an insight into the regiment.

Still digging although have you considered requesting the military records from the MOD, they will tell you a lot about your family member too

THE ROLE OF THE RASC.
Military Training Pamphlet No23 Part 1.
The role of the RASC in the field falls into two main parts, supply and transport.
Supply.
Supply embraces the provision of food, petrol and lubricants, fuel and light, hospital supplies and disinfectants.
Transport.
Transport is concerned with the conveyance of the above supplies, together with ammunition, engineer stores, ordnance stores and post, from railhead, or from base if no railhead exists, to all units of a field force.
In addition RASC units are provided for the carriage of infantry, tanks and heavy bridging equipment. The mechanical transport of medical and certain other units is also found and operated by the RASC.
To enable these services to be undertaken effectively, the RASC are responsible for the provision, repair, and maintenance of their own mechanical transport.
General Transport Companies are allotted to divisions for the transport of ammunition, supplies and petrol. Similar companies are allotted to higher formations and for employment in Line of Communication areas as required.

Read More
https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/units/4495/royal-army-service-corps/

The T stands for transport and I don't know what 2 stands for
The 2 stands for the second MT Company

What was your family members name ? might help searching.

Somebody else looking for information on a member of the same regiment
http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/evacuating-troops-from-greece.46534/#post-548957

Hello Again,
After some more help please for non profit making Remembrance Book compiling for Wall Heath & Kingswinford.
T/104845 Driver V. Hingley, 2 res. M.T. Coy., RASC died on 26/4/41 age 22, remembered with honour on Athens Memorial. Can anyone tell me whether he was lost on a troop ship during the evacuation of Greece? Local information says he died on Crete but invasion didn't start until May'41.
Hope someone can help me get facts right.
Regards,
Joy.

THE ROLE OF THE RASC.
Military Training Pamphlet No23 Part 1.
The role of the RASC in the field falls into two main parts, supply and transport.
Supply.
Supply embraces the provision of food, petrol and lubricants, fuel and light, hospital supplies and disinfectants.
Transport.
Transport is concerned with the conveyance of the above supplies, together with ammunition, engineer stores, ordnance stores and post, from railhead, or from base if no railhead exists, to all units of a field force.
In addition RASC units are provided for the carriage of infantry, tanks and heavy bridging equipment. The mechanical transport of medical and certain other units is also found and operated by the RASC.
To enable these services to be undertaken effectively, the RASC are responsible for the provision, repair, and maintenance of their own mechanical transport.
General Transport Companies are allotted to divisions for the transport of ammunition, supplies and petrol. Similar companies are allotted to higher formations and for employment in Line of Communication areas as required.

Read More
https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/units/4495/royal-army-service-corps/

The 2 stands for the second MT Company

What was your family members name ? might help searching.
That is absolutely fantastic, I'm currently on my lunch break but will definitely look into all the information you have provided as soon as I get home,

The family Member was called l/Cpl George Llewellyn Moss, He is commemorated on the Athens Memorial,Greece and the Gloucester Screen wall.

once again thanks very much,
kind Regards,
Tess

Yes his name is here on the Screen Wall

MOSS George Llewellyn L/Cpl T/7878201 2 Res M.T. Coy, Royal Army Service Corps died 20/5/1941 age 32. Husband of Mary Elizabeth of Gloucester. Commemorated on the Athens Memorial, Greece