Mil News MEDICAL PREPARDNESS INFORMATION

rtomedic

Mi Sergeant Major
MI.Net Member
TAARB
Diseases Caused By Food And Water Contamination
The primary necessity for survival is the availability of air. Once you have air to breathe, water, food, and shelter become the next requirements for your continued existence on the planet; that is, clean water and properly prepared food.

Even in normal times, there are many instances where an outbreak of infectious disease occurs due to water of poor quality. Ingesting food that was incompletely cooked caused the deaths of medieval kings in medieval times and may even have sparked the Ebola epidemic in 2014.

Epidemics caused by organisms that cause severe diarrhea and dehydration have been a part of the human experience since before recorded history. If severe enough, dehydration can cause hypovolemic shock, organ failure, and death. Indeed, during the Civil War, more deaths were attributed to dehydration from infectious diseases than from bullets or shrapnel.

Off the grid, water used for drinking or cooking can be contaminated by anything from floods to a dead opossum upstream from your camp. This can have dire implications for those living where there is no access to large amounts of IV hydration.

Therefore, it stands to reason that the preparation of food and the disinfection of drinking water should be under supervision. In survival, this responsibility should fall to the community medic; it is the medic that will (after the patient, of course) be most impacted by failure to maintain good sanitation.

Many diseases have disastrous intestinal consequences leading to dehydration. They include: ...MORE

https://www.doomandbloom.net/diseases-caused-by-food-and-water-contamination/

I am not a prepper with a zillion guns and ammo and a secret deep bunker reinforced against an EMP.
I just have a BoB because I live in a tornado area.

lawnmower-dad-1-810x536.jpg

I am not a "rabid prepper" but I am WELL prepared with both skills and equipment. As a rural paramedic and radio operator I spend lots of time responding in the field with little or no notice- so you have to be.

REMEMBER- all of the cool gear in the world means nothing without the skills to use it....

Here is a good find for your improvised skill sets

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Appendicitis Off The Grid
After a disaster or at a remote homestead, the medic may not have ready access to modern medical technology. As such, many conditions that are commonly identified with ultrasounds or CAT scans may be more challenging to diagnose. One of these challenges is abdominal pain. There are various medical issues that cause it, with the classic example of an abdominal emergency being appendicitis. Over 300,000 Americans have their appendix removed every year.

The Appendix

abdominal-anatomy-300x240.png

The “vermiform appendix”, as it is formally known, is a hollow tubular organ a few centimeters long and a centimeter wide. It looks like a worm (vermiform means worm-like). Attached at the entrance to the large intestine (the “cecum”), it resides in the lower right portion of the abdomen in almost all people. Inflammation of the appendix can become a medical emergency quickly; if ignored, it may represent ...MORE

https://www.doomandbloom.net/appendicitis-off-the-grid/

CDC: Illnesses from Mosquito, Tick & Flea Bites Triple in US
Illnesses from mosquito, tick, and flea bites have tripled in the U.S., with more than 640,000 cases reported during the 13 years from 2004 through 2016.
Nine new germs spread by mosquitoes and ticks were discovered or introduced into the United States during this time.

These findings are in a new Vital Signs report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC

This is CDC’s first summary collectively examining data trends for all nationally notifiable diseases caused by the bite of an infected mosquito, tick, or flea.

It provides detailed information on the growing burden of mosquito-borne and tickborne illnesses in the U.S.
“Zika, West Nile, Lyme, and chikungunya—a growing list of diseases caused by the bite of an infected mosquito, tick, or flea—have confronted the U.S. in recent years, making a lot of people sick,” explained CDC Director Robert R. Redfield, M.D.

“And we don’t know what will threaten Americans next.”“Our Nation’s first lines of defense are state and local health departments and vector control organizations, and we must continue to enhance our investment in their ability to fight against these diseases.”

MORE WITH VIDEO

https://americansecuritytoday.com/cdc-illnesses-mosquito-tick-flea-bites-triple-us-multi-video/

Key to Protecting First Responders in the Opioid Epidemic
The opioid epidemic has rapidly emerged not only as a massive public health emergency but also as a significant national security threat.
Foreign manufacture and cross-border smuggling of lethal drugs like fentanyl and carfentanil is leading to domestic distribution and use that exposes first responders to potentially life-threatening contact with substances often invisible to the naked eye.

Federal, state and local authorities have taken significant action to address the threat posed by opioids, but more must be done to expand the use of existing technologies and the deployment of new tactics to disrupt the threat.

The opioid epidemic is a transnational threat to the United States.

A wide array of opioid analogues are produced in places like China and Mexico and then illegally smuggled into the United States.

A bipartisan report issued at the beginning of 2018 by the United States Senate Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs Committee’s Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations found that in just two years, nearly $800 million worth of pill forms of the opioid fentanyl ...MORE WITH VIDEO

https://americansecuritytoday.com/key-protecting-first-responders-opioid-epidemic-must-see-video/

ALL ABOUT TICK BITES

tick-stages-300x129.jpg

Backcountry hikes are a great way to commune with nature, but not by encountering bears, cougars, or an irritable moose. In Spring and Summer, we also have to worry about insects like mosquitoes and ticks. Insects like ticks are agents that transmit some pretty serious infections to the unprotected and unwary. In this video, Joe Alton MD discusses everything you need to know about tick bites: Identification, protection, tick removal, and much more.

To watch, click below:

Wishing you the best of health in good times or bad-

https://www.doomandbloom.net/video-all-about-tick-bites/

SUICIDE: A National Epidemic: We Must All Do Something
As a retired FBI Agent, hostage negotiator and Employee Assistance Program Administrator I have seen first-hand the act, prevention and notification, and aftermath of suicide to loved ones and friends.

Devastating is one descriptive word that comes to me in describing the act and aftermath of suicide.

Over the last couple of days, we have been reminded of the impact of suicide of celebrities and listened to mental health describing the precursors of suicide, as well as being provided a national telephone number to contact if you are having issues which might lead to suicide (1-800-273-8255).

Calls are up 25%.
Even today someone told me that if I saw the signals which a person is exhibiting which might be suicidal I would be afraid to confront the person because it is embarrassing to the individual. Inaction by those close to a suicidal person is not acceptable.

Everyone needs to understand that asking a person if he/she is suicidal will not cause the person to commit suicide…. basic teaching point in hostage negotiations ...MORE WITH VIDEO

https://americansecuritytoday.com/suicide-national-epidemic-must-something-learn/