Mil News Famous regiments' historic merger

Drone_pilot

Mi General
MI.Net Member
Over 600 years of Welsh military tradition has come to an end on St David's Day with the merger of two famous Welsh regiments.

The names Royal Welch Fusiliers and The Royal Regiment of Wales were consigned to history with the birth of the new regiment, The Royal Welsh.

BBC Read More

Any idea where the 600 year history came from? Seems a bit far back to me. :confused:

Reloader said:
Any idea where the 600 year history came from? Seems a bit far back to me. :confused:

I can find at least 316 years back...

welch.jpg

The Royal Welch Fusiliers, 'The Nanny Goats'
The Regimental day is celebrated by all ranks wearing the leek and those who have not previously eaten one, are required to do so. An Officers toast is made to 'Toby Purcell, His Spurs and St. David'. Purcell was the regiment's second-in-command at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690; his spurs were handed down to be worn by successive seconds-in-command until 1842, when they were lost in a fire in Montreal.

See Battle Honours and Traditions of the British Army for this and more interesting traditions...​

Thanks Droney, that's probably the answer. solthum

The Royal Welch Fusiliers was raised at Ludlow, in the Welsh Marches, on the 16th March 1689.
The online home of the Royal Welch Fusiliers

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Royal Regiment of Wales was formed in 1969 by the amalgamation of two of Wales' most famous and distinguished regiments, namely The South Wales Borderers (24th Foot) and The Welch Regiment (41st/69th Foot), both stemming from a mixed history originating in 1689 and 1719 resepectively[/FONT]
The Royal Regiment of Wales Website

historychart.gif

Combined history in thre region of 600 years...spot on Droney!:)

its a sad day when a reg is disbanded the scots reg's are for the chop to all the battle hounners ment nothing to the goverment:mad:

Your right mate battle honours mean feck all to politicians, only to the people that matter. Unfortunately the people that matter dont get a feckin say in the matter.

Ps Welcome mate and thanks for joining us solthum sal;

they wanted to disband the blackwatch after the gulf they had not even got there dead in he gound they should try the forces and see what it means to fight for your reg they tryed to disband mine loads of times but the french wont let them lolsolthum

LOL solaf

I like your signature mate, although.....I though I was the hardest bastard in the valley?, ahh well I suppose we will have to share between ourselves and a load of other veterans from all over the world solthum

the french one i tryed was hard for the brits to work out haha le diable marche' avec no's lol laughsol;

Is that the devil marches with numbers ?

Back