Video Vietnam war helicopter aviation: ACH-47 "Guns A Go-Go"

Marsch

Mi Staff Sergeant
MI.Net Member
TheMess.Net
I think I'll use the opportunity to resurrect the old series of threads about helicopter aviation of the Vietnam war era that I had started over at MP.net years ago.

So, without further ado "Guns A Go-Go":

The ACH-47 was a try to evaluate if CH-47 "Chinook" helicopters could be used as gunships. To save me some time explaining everything about these helicopters in detail please watch the following videos and visit the given link. They have all the relevant infos about the project.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

An other a little longer video (unfortunately without sound).

Years ago I had uploaded the second video in the first post to youtube and was contacted by the nephew of the pilot of "Stump Jumper" one of the "Guns A Go-Go" birds who asked if I could send him said video. Which I of course did. In exchange he was so kind to sent me some scanned photos his grandpa took when he was over there. The name of the man who also served in WWII and the Korean War is Clarence Hall. He already died in 2004 at the age of 81. I've cleaned up the photos a bit and added copyright markings. The copyright of these photos lies with the Hall family but I've permission to use these photos for non-commercial use.

ACH-47 64-13151 "Stump Jumper" on the ground (presumably at Vung Tau).
w3S4qDe.jpg

A photo taken shortly after the crash that gave the helicopter it's nickname (Clarence Hall is the second from right).
IOsfLHO.jpg

Some shots from the taxiing accident in which the helicopter hit a parked CH-47 and flipped over (one crewmember lost an arm in this accident).
6BjZvpO.jpg

uBDLAWK.jpg

6U9uJrh.jpg

p08MzIN.jpg

KWRUAHk.jpg

Last edited:
This was actually ment to be a dedicated "Guns A Go-Go" thread. I plan to make one for each type of helicopter or special outfit like the ARRS.

Two more shots from the Clarence Hall collection.

A photo of the wreck of "Birth Control" (see link in the first post for the full story).
tYFH7Ln.jpg

The dedicated "Guns A Go-Go" jeep with Clarence Hall on the left.
phR5B4s.jpg