Article RAF Bombing Raid on Krefeld 22th June 1943.

Matzos

Mi Lieutenant
MI.Net Member
I have a personal reason for relating this event, but first I wish to outline the raid itself.

In the early morning of the 22nd June 1943 the RAF undertook another bombing raid over Germany, this time the target was to be Krefeld.

The information below is taken from RAF Report AIR 14/3441

Plan of Attack.

The aircraft came for various RAF Bomber Command Groups:

1 Gp – 119 Lancaster's & 37 Wellington's.
3 Gp – 99 Stirling's & 11 Lancaster's.
4 Gp – 132 Halifax & 40 Wellingtons.
5 Gp – 92 Lancaster's.
6 Gp – 44 Halifax's & 22 Wellingtons. (Royal Canadian Air Force Bomber Group)
8 (Pathfinder) Gp – 12 Mosquitoes, 19 Stirling's, 33 Halifax's & 49 Lancasters.

Zero hour was 01:30 hours and with the period of the raid to be 01:27 to 02:20 hours. The weather at the RAF bases was listed as light cloud between 2 - 3,000 feet and good visibility. Weather over the target was reported as being; 4-6/10ths thin patches of cloud, topping at 8-10,000 feet with occasional patches at 8/10ths thin cloud through which markers could be seen plainly. Visibility, moderate to good, with a slight ground haze.

Between 01:27 and 02:19 hours 10 Oboe* Mosquitoes were to mark the aiming point for the raid with red Target Indicates (TI's). To guard against failure of the Mosquitoes, two further waves of the aircraft, 18 a t01:30 and 13 at 01:57 hours were detailed to drop yellow TI's blindly on H2S** if no red TI's were seen on arrival. Between 01:32 and 02:18 hours, 37 “back-ups” were to drop green TI's at the red if seen,but otherwise at the estimated centre of the concentration of yellow TI's. If neither red or yellow TI's were seen, green TI's were to be aimed at the established centre of the existing pattern of green. All TI's dropped after 01:45 hours were to cascade from 10,000 feet, before this time all were to be dropped from 3,000 feet.

The routes for the raid were to be:

8 Gp – Aldeburgh – TARGET – turn left – Noordwijk –Happisburgh.
1 Gp – Southwold – TARGET – turn left – Noordwijk –Mablethorpe.
3 Gp – Aldeburgh – TARGET – turn left – Noordwijk –Southwold.
4 Gp – Southwold – TARGET – turn left – Noordwijk –Southwold.
5 Gp – Routes passed verbally, unknown to author.
6 Gp – Base – TARGET – turn left – Noordwijk - Base

The Attack

9 out of the 10 Oboe Mosquitoes detailed to mark the target dropped their red TI's accurately but at irregular intervals. The use of the “back-up” marking aircraft was excellent and a concentrated attack was delivered on the centre of Krefeld. Although there was a tendency for the attack to drift backwards along the line of approach, night photography indicated that about 75% of the force bombed within 3 miles of the aiming point. Eleven identified factories and 12 other small industrial areas were destroyed or severely damaged. The gas works was damaged along with 2 gas holders damaged by fire. However, the greatest damaged was to business and residential property, including many public buildings.

Enemy Defences.

Flak and Searchlights

Ground defences at Krefeld consisted of moderate heavy flak and very little light flak. Predicted heavy flak decreased in intensity as the attack proceeded and in the later stages some barrage fire was reported. Only a smaller number of searchlights exposed and these operated to the North and South of the target. They were hampered by smoke and moonlight and gave little assistance to the flak. En route, heavy flak was reported over Eindhoven, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Utrecht and Leyden and also from the Dutch Islands and a ship off Noordwijk, and some intense light flak was reported from Katwijk. In all 28 aircraft were damaged by flak, two being totally destroyed and five other seriously damaged.

Fighters

Intercepted enemy wireless traffic disclosed 12 enemy patrols. It was estimated from reports of returning aircrew that 8 aircraft were shot down by flak and 30 by fighters. Of the aircraft lost, one was seen to crash near the Dutch Island, the cause being unknown.

Official recored RAF Losses Were:

1 Gp
1 Lancaster - 460 Sqn
1 Lancaster - 101 Sqn
1 Lancaster - 100 Sqn
2 Wellingtons - 305 Sqn
1 Wellington - 300 Sqn
1 Wellington - 166 Sqn

3 Gp
2 Stirling - 218 Sqn
1 Stirling - 149 Sqn
1 Stirling - 90 Sqn
1 Stirling - 15 Sqn

4 Gp
1 Halifax - 158 Sqn***
3 Halifax - 77 Sqn
1 Halifax - 51 Sqn
1 Wellington - 431 Sqn

5 Gp
1 Lancaster - 619 Sqn
1 Lancaster - 57 Sqn
1 Lancaster - 44 Sqn

6 Gp
4 Wellingtons- 429 Sqn
1 Wellington - 419 Sqn
3 Wellingtons - 408 Sqn

8 Gp
1 Halifax - 405 Sqn
1 Lancaster - 156 Sqn
2 Lancasters - 83 Sqn
6 Halifaxs - 35 Sqn
4 Stirlings - 7 Sqn

*Oboe was a sophisticated set of electronic equipment that could receive radio signals from transmitters in England. The difference in the pulse times etc could be worked out by the receiver and give an exact location over the enemy target. When this information was computed the bomb aimer was given a signal exactly when to drop his marker or bomb load.

**H2S was the first airborne ground scanning radar system and on 30[SUP]th[/SUP]January 1943 it was used by the RAF bombers for navigation for thefirst time, so became the first ground mapping radar to used incombat. At first fitted to Stirling and Halifax bombers.

***This aircraft crashed at Skellingthorpe near Lincoln soon after takeoff. It was reported that the aircraft dived vertically into theground from 6,000 feet, all the crew were killed.

The reason why I have posted this is that a number of years ago I was given, by my wife, the Flying Log Book of grandfather, Sergeant John Atkinson. He was a crew member of the only Stirling bomber that was lost from 149 Squadron on the raid of the 22th June. The aircraft was reported as crashing at 02:39 hours into the Ijsselmeer off Makkum, The Netherlands.

He was 28 years old when we died, one of the oldest members of the crew who's average age was just 23 years. John had been posted to 149 Squadron from 1657 Conversion Unit on the 18th April 1943 and took up his duties as a Flight Engineer. We was to undertake only 9 operational sorties before his death and had only been on the Squadron for 66 days.

There is one entry in his log that has and I think will always stick in my mind, it is on the 25th May 43 on a sortie over Dusseldorf which he states “Both wing bomb doors hand wound down and up at 16,500 ft”

In all he completed just over 63 daylight flying hours and 75 nighttime hours.

The crew on that last flight were:

Sergeant James Lowrie, 148179, Pilot, RAFVR aged 21. James commission to Pilot Officer had come through, but never got to wear it.
Sergeant John Atkinson, 1017417, Flight Engineer, RAFVR aged 29.
Flying Officer Donald Harrison Lyne, 125540, Navigator, RAFVR aged 23.
Sergeant Alexander Coull, 1559064, Bomb Aimer, RAFVR aged 19.
Sergeant Donald Charles Holmes Fudge, 1312340, Wireless Operator / Air Gunner, RAFVR aged 22.
Sergeant Ernest Claude Waite, 1279016, Mid Upper Gunner, RAFVR aged 21.
Sergeant Ernest Graham Hird, 1319154, Rear Gunner, RAFVR aged 29.

The morning after the crash local people collected the remains of the crew and they were buried in mass grave, except for two gunners Sgts Hird and Waite, they were buried separately. Later the Germans salvaged most of the wreck.

The crew is now buried at the Wonseradeel (Makkum) Protestant Churchyard, The Netherlands.

Further research reviled that BK799 was shot down by Oblt Ernst Drunkler of 12./NJG1. He recorded the combat at 5,000 mtrs and claimed the aircraft came down about 2 kms west of Makkum. He lived through the war and was credited with 47 “kills” of which 45 were night attacks.

As an Ex-member of the RAF, I feel honoured to have this Flying Log, it gave me an insight into the life of bomber aircrew and just showed how short their life could be. Also, it gave me the chance to undertake research for my wife and give her information about her grandfather whosee never knew.

Mick Gladwin 29th May 2013

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent information about the raid mate and also about the service of Sgt John Atkinson, you and your wife are clearly very proud of his service and rightly so. thanks for posting this it was a brilliant read. (Y)

Excellent information about the raid mate and also about the service of Sgt John Atkinson, you and your wife are clearly very proud of his service and rightly so. thanks for posting this it was a brilliant read. (Y)

Thanks Bombardier, I now have another project to do, I have the wife's great grandfathers WW1 medals to research. Who said retirement was boring?

LOL yes I can imagine you are very busy now you don't have to work. I retire from my job in 5 years and my wife is already putting together a list of things for me to do.;)

Krefeld bombing raid.

Can i just say a big thank you for producing this written piece. Ernest Graham Hird was my uncle, my father's brother and the eldest child in the family.
I would have liked to have got to know him, but the fate of that flight has deprived me of this. I hope one day to visit his grave in Makkum to pay my respects. The information in the report has helped me to better understand what happened on that fateful night, a fate which befell so many brave airmen during WW2.
I have spoken to aircrew survivors even a Battle of Britain Hurricane fighter pilot and they all have one thing in common..they count themselves very fortunate to have survived and are humble about their achievements.

I have a personal reason for relating this event, but first I wish tooutline the raid itself.

In the early morning of the 22[SUP]nd[/SUP] June 1943 the RAF undertookanother bombing raid over Germany, this time the target was to be Krefeld.

The information below is taken from RAF Report AIR 14/3441

Plan of Attack.

The aircraft came forvarious RAF Bomber Command Groups:

1 Gp – 119 Lancasters & 37 Wellingtons.
3 Gp – 99 Stirlings & 11 Lancasters.
4 Gp – 132 Halifax & 40 Wellingtons.
5 Gp – 92 Lancasters.
6 Gp – 44 Halifaxs & 22 Wellingtons. (Royal Canadian Air Force Bomber Group)
8 (Pathfinder) Gp – 12 Mosquitoes, 19 Stirlings, 33 Halifaxs & 49 Lancasters.

Zero hour was 01:30 hours and with the period of the raid to be 01:27 to 02:20 hours. The weather at the RAF bases was listed as light cloud between 2 - 3,000 feet and good visibility. Weather over the target was reported as being; 4-6/10[SUP]ths[/SUP] thin patches of cloud, topping at 8-10,000 feet with occasional patches at 8/10[SUP]ths [/SUP]thin cloud through which markers could be seen plainly. Visibility, moderate to good, with a slight ground haze.

Between 01:27 and 02:19 hours 10 Oboe* Mosquitoes were to mark the aiming point for the raid with red Target Indicates (TI's). To guard against failure of the Mosquitoes, two further waves of the aircraft, 18 a t01:30 and 13 at 01:57 hours were detailed to drop yellow TI's blindly on H2S** if no red TI's were seen on arrival. Between 01:32 and 02:18 hours, 37 “back-ups” were to drop green TI's at the red if seen,but otherwise at the estimated centre of the concentration of yellowTI's. If neither red or yellow TI's were seen, green TI's were to be aimed at the established centre of the existing pattern of green. All TI's dropped after 01:45 hours were to cascade from 10,000 feet, before this time all were to be dropped from 3,000 feet.

The routes for the raid were to be:

8 Gp – Aldeburgh – TARGET – turn left – Noordwijk –Happisburgh.
1 Gp – Southwold – TARGET – turn left – Noordwijk –Mablethorpe.
3 Gp – Aldeburgh – TARGET – turn left – Noordwijk –Southwold.
4 Gp – Southwold – TARGET – turn left – Noordwijk –Southwold.
5 Gp – Routes passed verbally, unknown to author.
6 Gp – Base – TARGET – turn left – Noordwijk - Base

The Attack

9 out of the 10 Oboe Mosquitoes detailed to mark the target dropped their red TI's accurately but at irregular intervals. The use of the “back-up” marking aircraft was excellent and a concentrated attack was delivered on the centre of Krefeld. Although there was a tendency for the attack to drift backwards along the line of approach, night photography indicated that about 75% of the force bombed within 3 miles of the aiming point. Eleven identified factories and 12 other small industrial areas were destroyed or severely damaged. The gas works was damaged along with 2 gas holders damaged by fire. However, the greatest damaged was to business and residential property, including many public buildings.

Enemy Defences.

Flak and Searchlights

Ground defences at Krefeld consisted of moderate heavy flak and very little light flak. Predicted heavy flak decreased in intensity as the attack proceeded and in the later stages some barrage fire was reported. Only a smaller number of searchlights exposed and these operated to the North and South of the target. They were hampered by smoke and moonlight and gave little assistance to the flak. En route, heavy flak was reported over Eindhoven, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Utrecht and Leyden and also from the Dutch Islands and a ship off Noordwijk, and some intense light flak was reported from Katwijk. In all 28 aircraft were damaged by flak, two being totally destroyed and five other seriously damaged.

Fighters

Intercepted enemy wireless traffic disclosed 12 enemy patrols. It was estimated from reports of returning aircrew that 8 aircraft were shot down by flak and 30 by fighters. Of the aircraft lost, one was seen to crash near the Dutch Island, the cause being unknown.

Officialrecored RAF Losses Were:

1 Gp
Lancaster
460 Sqn
Lancaster
101 Sqn
Lancaster
100 Sqn
Wellingtons
305 Sqn
Wellington
300 Sqn
Wellington
166 Sqn
3 Gp
Stirling
218 Sqn
Stirling
149 Sqn
Stirling
90 Sqn
Stirling
15 Sqn
4 Gp
Halifax
158 Sqn***
Halifax
77 Sqn
Halifax
51 Sqn
Wellington
431 Sqn
5 Gp
Lancaster
619 Sqn
Lancaster
57 Sqn
Lancaster
44 Sqn
6 Gp
Wellingtons
429 Sqn
Wellington
419 Sqn
Wellingtons
408 Sqn
8 Gp
Halifax
405 Sqn
Lancaster
156 Sqn
Lancasters
83 Sqn
Halifaxs
35 Sqn
Stirlings
7 Sqn

*Oboe was a sophisticated set of electronic equipment that couldreceive radio signals from transmitters in England. The difference inthe pulse times etc could be worked out by the receiver and give anexact location over the enemy target. When this information wascomputed the bomb aimer was given a signal exactly when to drop hismarker or bomb load.

**H2S was the first airborne ground scanning radar system and on 30[SUP]th[/SUP]January 1943 it was used by the RAF bombers for navigation for thefirst time, so became the first ground mapping radar to used incombat. At first fitted to Stirling and Halifax bombers.

***This aircraft crashed at Skellingthorpe near Lincoln soon after takeoff. It was reported that the aircraft dived vertically into theground from 6,000 feet, all the crew were killed.

The reason why I have posted this is that a number of years ago I was given, by my wife, the Flying Log Book of grandfather, Sergeant John Atkinson. He was a crew member of the only Stirling bomber that was lost from 149 Squadron on the raid of the 22[SUP]th[/SUP] June. The aircraft was reported as crashing at 02:39 hours into the Ijsselmeer off Makkum, The Netherlands.

He was 28 years old when we died, one of the oldest members of the crew who's average age was just 23 years. John had been posted to 149 Squadron from 1657 Conversion Unit on the 18[SUP]th[/SUP] April 1943 and took up his duties as a Flight Engineer. We was to undertake only 9 operational sorties before his death and had only been on the Squadron for 66 days.

There is one entry in his log that has and I think will always stick in my mind, it is on the 25[SUP]th[/SUP] May 43 on a sortie over Dusseldorf which he states “Both wing bomb doors hand wound down and up at 16,500 ft”

In all he completed just over 63 daylight flying hours and 75 nighttime hours.

The crew on that last flight were:

Sergeant James Lowrie, 148179, Pilot, RAFVR aged 21. James commission to Pilot Officer had come through, but never got to wear it.
Sergeant John Atkinson, 1017417, Flight Engineer, RAFVR aged 29.
Flying Officer Donald Harrison Lyne, 125540, Navigator, RAFVR aged 23.
Sergeant Alexander Coull, 1559064, Bomb Aimer, RAFVR aged 19.
Sergeant Donald Charles Holmes Fudge, 1312340, Wireless Operator / Air Gunner, RAFVR aged 22.
Sergeant Ernest Claude Waite, 1279016, Mid Upper Gunner, RAFVR aged 21.
Sergeant Ernest Graham Hird, 1319154, Rear Gunner, RAFVR aged 29.

The morning after the crash local people collected the remains of the crew and they were buried in mass grave, except for two gunners Sgts Hird and Waite, they were buried separately. Later the Germans salvaged most of the wreck.

The crew is now buried at the Wonseradeel (Makkum) Protestant Churchyard, The Netherlands.

Further research reviled that BK799 was shot down by Oblt Ernst Drunkler of 12./NJG1. He recorded the combat at 5,000 mtrs and claimed the aircraft came down about 2 kms west of Makkum. He lived through the war and was credited with 47 “kills” of which 45 were night attacks.

As an Ex-member of the RAF, I feel honoured to have this Flying Log, it gave me an insight into the life of bomber aircrew and just showed how short their life could be. Also, it gave me the chance to undertake research for my wife and give her information about her grandfather whosee never knew.

Mick Gladwin 29[SUP]th[/SUP] May 2013

Thank you for your comments,
There are nights where I sit and think about these young men who flew sometimes night after night never knowing if they would be alive the following day. This week was 70 years to the day that they undertook their last mission and we owe a great deal to these people.
I have a number of documents relating to BK799 and the missions it undertook, even a copy of a map produced by the Dutch Underground of the crash site. My plan is one day to get it scanned and put together a complete history of the aircraft and the 9 missions which John Atkinson and the other crew members flew on. The only thing I'm missing is a photo of BK799 code- OJ-O, hopefully I will find one soon.

Mick

Hi Matzos;
I have read with interest your message about the Stirling OJ-O BK799. I have been in our village of Makkum for a year or two to find out about the aviators who are in the cemetery with us and the one more successful than with the other. From the flight of OJ-O BK799 I'm still looking for data and photos of the aviators as well as the plane. If desired, I can also contact you by email. I hope you can help me with missing information and maybe you too. Every year on May 5, there is the national death commemoration of cases from the 2nd world war. On the evening before Christmas there are lot of places in the Netherlands also in Makkum (what I organize) of these candles. I can send you pictures if you want. I hope you can help me further to give these guys a face again.

Would be nice to see pictures of remembrance like that

1001004011165828.jpg

Available at Amazon for 3.99 pounds

upload_2017-7-28_22-1-46.png

Text for the top photo.

In the Netherlands you have to pay for everything.
Nevertheless, you never received an account for your freedom.

Why not?

They have already paid for it!

The following pictures during the annual commemoration on May 5 for the soldiers who are fallen during WO2.
10422041_442223985952722_8849006396341877075_n.jpg
11041659_442224035952717_4919835344128973065_n.jpg
11220819_442224142619373_4209568719204540796_n.jpg

18199529_1337190709703927_654950437570958438_n.jpg

On Christmas eve dec 24e a candle for every fallen warrior.

I hope you can get such an impression

On Christmas eve dec 24e a candle for every fallen warrior.

Oorlogsgraven lichtjes herdenking Makkum 24-12-20161139.JPG
Oorlogsgraven lichtjes herdenking Makkum 24-12-20161165.JPG

I hope you can get such an impression

Thats amazing @Remko thanks for sharing these pics and respect to you mate ;)

Hello all and Matzos. In a few months we will celebrate Christmas again. As I have already mentioned in a previous message, I'm still looking for 149 Sqdn crew data and pictures. Stirling OJ-O Serial No. BK799. Who can help me to give these heroes of the sky a face so that they can not be forgotten. I thank you all in advance. The messages can also be sent to my personal mail
For an impression of the lights on the war graves on 24th of December, I would definitely look at the site below.
www.lichtjesopoorlogsgraven.jimdo.com

Dear Friends all over the world, In the Netherlands we place candles at Christmas eve to remember the fallen Men and Woman in the war’s from the past. We did this last year with more than 260 cemeteries. I would like to ask if you wherever you may be in the World could you do the same, and place a candle on a Wargrave at 19 hrs at Christmas eve.
Please share this message with our friends who want to do the same in your Country.

Hi I cannot believe that I have just stumbled on this site, my Father was in 35 Squadron, Bomber Command - The Pathfinders. He was on this mission to Bomb Krefeld from Gravely in Cambs in Halifax HR848 and was shot down over Uden in Holland I stood in the field that the Bomber came down in 10 years ago, tomorrow I go to Stalag Luft 3 to visit the remains of the POW Camp that my Dad was in. Thanks so much for all this info regarding 22/6/1943 I still cannot believe that I have found it !! It is also lovely to know that the Dutch people light candles at the Cemeteries again I visited the Cemetery at Uden where Dads fellow Aircrew lie at rest. One last request can anyone tell me if this is where the Ball Bearing Factories were located ??

Welcome Jeff and glad you found us.
I don know about the ball bearing factories but hope somebody here will know.
Hope to see some of your photos from Stalag Luft 3 mate :)

Hi I cannot believe that I have just stumbled on this site, my Father was in 35 Squadron, Bomber Command - The Pathfinders. He was on this mission to Bomb Krefeld from Gravely in Cambs in Halifax HR848 and was shot down over Uden in Holland I stood in the field that the Bomber came down in 10 years ago, tomorrow I go to Stalag Luft 3 to visit the remains of the POW Camp that my Dad was in. Thanks so much for all this info regarding 22/6/1943 I still cannot believe that I have found it !! It is also lovely to know that the Dutch people light candles at the Cemeteries again I visited the Cemetery at Uden where Dads fellow Aircrew lie at rest. One last request can anyone tell me if this is where the Ball Bearing Factories were located ??

Mate, I believe there were ball bearing factories in Krefeld however, I can't find out if they were the target for the raid on the night of 21/6/43.

The raid did destroy large parts of the east of the city and a firestorm consumed most of the city centre (apart from the central train station, which remained intact apart from minor damage).

Remko. Did you manage to obtain any photographs of any of the crew? If not i can direct you to a site with two photos thereon including that of Sgt Hird my uncle buried at Makkum