Site help Finding Images

P

PFC_RC

I'm curious as to how ya'll find the images that you upload. Is it ok to upload ones you come across online?

You can upload images you find online as long as 1/they are considered to be in the public domain or 2/you have permission from the copyright holder.
Sometimes if you read the copyright notice it will state that you can use them for non commercial use, we are a non commercial website so you could post them in our galleries.
Also some of the American Military websites declare all their images as Public Domain.

it is good practice to post a link into the copyright section when uploading which directs users back to the site it came from.

What we dont allow here as a rule is Hotlinking, that is the practice of pasting the image link into the forums which then displays the image as if it was being hosted on our servers. This uses up the expensive bandwidth of the hosting website, and it not the done thing.

Hope this helps.

PS a lot of the images are owned by the people uploading them too

Last edited:
I've got a number of pictures I've saved from online and don't know about copyright stuff on them, but I have them on my photobucket account which allows hotlinking. Is that ok?

I've got a number of pictures I've saved from online and don't know about copyright stuff on them, but I have them on my photobucket account which allows hotlinking. Is that ok?

If you believe that the use of the images will be considered 'Fair use' then you can post them but please declare in your post that you believe that to be the case.

Again read here
http://www.militaryimages.net/threads/copyright-please-read.5789/

It goes a little into the use of images considered 'Fair Use' and also the sharing of images from websites that provide share buttons. In relation to the latter we believe that the presence of share buttons indicates the websites wish to have them shared, so as long as a link back to the image/s is inserted with your posts we are happy with that.