Other Post English Spoken Here...American Understood.

What's up with the adding of letters, most notably 'R', where they don't exist when pronouncing the word [Princess DianaR], and dropping ones that do exist [Norwich =Nor'ch; Worcestershire = Wor'stershire, Gloucester = Glo'ster]? The New Englanders do the same thing. Drives us Westerners nuts :mrgreen: .

Money = Bees and Honey
Money = Bread and Honey
Money = Bugs Bunny
Ayrton Senna = Tenner (10 pound note)
Arthur Ashe = Cash
Pound = Plymouth Sound
Pounds = Sovs (from sovereigns)
bob = shilling
grand = £1000
monkey = £500
pony = £25
tanner = sixpence (no longer have this coin)

All these slang terms are derived from the Cockney (London Rhyming slang) of course we should not forget these which I use quite regular....."Beer tokens and drinking vouchers".

:mrgreen:

Frisco-Kid said:
What's up with the adding of letters, most notably 'R', where they don't exist when pronouncing the word [Princess DianaR], and dropping ones that do exist [Norwich =Nor'ch; Worcestershire = Wor'stershire, Gloucester = Glo'ster]? The New Englanders do the same thing. Drives us Westerners nuts :mrgreen: .

The correct pronunciation for Diana is a hard "A" at the end, thus getting rid of any "R" sound :lol:

For Worcestershire etc, I think (not being a linguistics expert) it is because of pronunciation against spelling. For a truely awsome way of pronunciation, how about the place Bicester - pronounced Bister or Belvoir pronounced Beaver! :evil:

Think thats bad try this one

FEATHERSTONEHAUGH

This is a very long surname which fools many who try to pronounce every syllable. It should be pronounced Fanshaw. The surname derives from a place called Featherstonehaugh near Haltwhistle in Northumberland. If we take the name to pieces it means the meadow near the feather shaped stone. One famous owner of this seventeen letter surname was Albany Featherstonehaugh, a sixteenth century High Sheriff of Northumberland who was murdered by a band of notorious Tynedale thieves called the Ridleys and Thirlwalls. The murder is commemorated in a ballad written by the Victorian historian of County Durham Robert Surtees who wrote - Hoot awa' lads, hoot awa', Ha' ye heard how the Ridleys and Thirlwalls and a', had set upon Albany Featherstonehaugh and taken his life at the Deadmanshaw. There was Williemontswick and Hardriding Dick and Hughie o' Hawden and Will o' the wa' I canno tell a' I canno tell a', there was many a mair that the Devil may knaw - The verse fooled Sir Walter Scott who thought it was a genuine ancient ballad. The Thirlwall family mentioned in the ballad were also of local origin. They originated from Thirlwall on Hadrian's Wall, where Picts are said to have thirled or destoyed the Roman defences. This surname is also spelt Thirlwell

Crikey!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Just don't go to Herefordshire and ask for Leominster, it's pronounced Lemster. Or ditto in Cornwall for Mousehole, that is pronounced, Muzzle! :roll:

Didn't Churchill say something like "we are 2 peoples seperated by a common language" ? :D

The Brits and Americans sure are - but as the above shows, the Brits and the Brits alone are bad enough!

Zofo said:
The Brits and Americans sure are - but as the above shows, the Brits and the Brits alone are bad enough!

Your damn right there zofo rid:

To further confuse those of you on the other side of the pond, the UK has hundreds of regional dialects. In the town where I was born and raised, I spoke a recognisably different dialect to those of my cousins who lived a mere 15 miles away! The same applies in England, Wales, and Ireland.

:?

People from other regions of the US tell me I have an accent. They lie. I don't, they do. :mrgreen: