Photos ARVN M-41 "Tet Offensive"

razorboy

Mi Sergeant
MI.Net Member
I thought you guys might be interested in seeing how I put one together. I have not finished this build yet and will pick up on the construction once I fulfill a few other build "obligations". I'll get you guys up to speed with what I have completed thus far.....

Cut and repositioned the suspension in two spots on the starboard side, you'll see why when the diorama is complete.

arvn m41 model_001.jpg

Several (if not most) ARVN M41's had the front fenders cut on about a 45 degree angle - as to why, I am unsure.

arvn m41 model_002.jpg

arvn m41 model_003.jpg

Several (if not most) ARVN M41's had the Commander's MG mount repositioned to the right (his right) of the cupola.

arvn m41 model_004.jpg

arvn m41 model_005.jpg

arvn m41 model_006.jpg

razorboy

Last edited by a moderator:
The vision block frames ringing the commanders cupola were way out of scale and will be replaced with the PE frames. First they must be removed.

dscn22270001.jpg

Like I said, lot's of re-constuctive surgery goin on with this one.

I recieved my AFV Club track on Wednesday and I must say I am pleased with the results. It should really add to the scene.

dscn22300001.jpg

dscn22310001.jpg

dscn22320001.jpg

added some PE items to the turret and upper rear hull today. Very time consuming but I suppose that the added detail gained is an even trade.

dscn22370001.jpg

Seems to be a neverending supply of PE to be attached but I think I am nearing the end of it. Should be ready for a coat of Olive Drab shortly.
dscn22980001.jpg

dscn23020001.jpg

dscn23030001.jpg

dscn23050001.jpg

Update to follow .......

I decided to finish off the tank construction today (less the track) and got the base coat on this afternoon. The mantlet canvas cover was made from kleenex (most toilet paper is too porous), coated and set with a mixture of white glue and water.

dscn23080001.jpg
dscn23120001.jpg
dscn23130001.jpg
dscn23200001.jpg
dscn23240001.jpg

I still have to shade, weather, detail, etc. and of course there's still the figures and the diorama base to finish. As usual I'll put the figures together, complete the base then finish the painting of the figures.

rb

The figures are 1/35 scale Dragon "Viet Cong". I couldn't find anyone on line with these figures in stock then as an afterthought I went to my local Hobby Shop and JACKPOT!!! he had them!

arvn m41 model_21.jpg

I started on the 'VC' figures yesterday evening, assembling "RPG Man" and "Head Honcho" (not shown). The third Viet Cong figure, "Number Three", should be done by this evening. The detail on these figures, released in 2004, is much better than I had anticipated.

arvn m41 model_22.jpg

arvn m41 model_23.jpg

I finished assembling the figures tonight, next will be the de-seaming, sanding and filling if necessary (don't think it will be) and painting. Left to right are - "Number Three", "RPG Man" and "Head Honcho"

arvn m41 model_24.jpg

That is as far as I got on this one - more to come when the spirit moves me!

razorboy

Keep up the good work mate, like to see the finished thing!

Thanks again, she'll be done sooner or later ....

Interesting Razor, often wondered how those canvas covers were done. One of these days when I get my den back I'm going to get back into modelling
Good stuff thanks for sharing!!

Bob out sal;

i realise this is a very old thread but i was interested in learning how you made and applied the fabric covering for the gun mantel?

i went onto the site you linked but it appears to be deceased now

Hi PhantomMajor and welcome to MI.Net
I havent seen razorboy for while and your right his site is down.
I would suggest sending him a private message with your question this is more likely to get you a response.

Hi PhantomMajor and welcome to MI.Net
I havent seen razorboy for while and your right his site is down.
I would suggest sending him a private message with your question this is more likely to get you a response.

hi there Bombardier, thanks for the welcome...been a bit of a lurker, so i thought it was time to get my feet wet so to speak.

yes i have taken your advice and sent him a PM, hope he gets back to me...i really want to finish this M41 that i am working on, rather than have another shelf queen.

Such a good thread added the images to our servers so they would not be lost in the fullness of time.

Such a good thread added the images to our servers so they would not be lost in the fullness of time.

do you have all the images that are related to creating cover for the gun mantel as it is this aspect of the build i am most keen to replicate?

The images for the gun mantel are still contained within the original thread posted. just click the thumbnail image and the full size image will be displayed.

what i need to know is how he cut the tissue paper especially the square hole to the left of the gun barrel. what did he use to to that and when did he do it... did he wait for the tissue paper to dry out or cut it while it was still wet and what did he use... how did he avoid damaging the plastic gun mantel while he was doing all of this?

This guy used a Tea bag

teabag gun mantel cover.jpg

He does go some way to explain how he did his
See the thread here www.britmodeller.com

Last edited:
Back