Other Post Aircraft camouflage

They would possibly also care about the weight issue. While fuel consumption and aerodynamics may not be the limiting factor you can carry more equipment and/or troops if the overall weight gets reduced.

By the way, why are radar cones often painted differently? Some sort of ivory color seems to be quite common, especially on older aircraft. Considering the aforesaid effects a paint could have on radar waves, do they need a particular color for unadulterated reception?

I just read this: Radar cones or radomes are traditionally non-metallic to let the electromagnetic rays pass through. Even standard paint which contains metal particles would be unsuitable, so these parts are still made of plastic (or probably carbon fibre?). In the past they had a rubber coating which was either black or, as you mentioned, came in a natural colour. Today, there are non-metallic paints available which is why you don't see radomes in a different colour in modern aircraft.

I really think that camo patterns for fighter aircraft are becoming quite rare because most of the fighting will be beyond visual range, and and extreme in-visual range conditions, grey schemes might have and advantage due to haze as mentioned.

Yet, "low and slow" flying aircraft such as transports and helicopters still get camouflage patterns due to operation close to the ground at low speeds, being prone to visual id at most conditions.

Edit: Seems like the Russians might disagree with me, yet i have a speculation that they keep coloring their new fighters with camo for PR purposes and it looks damn awesome

Last edited: