Photos The Future Command and Liaison Vehicle

Matzos

Mi Lieutenant
MI.Net Member
A direct lift from MoD site

The Future Command and Liaison Vehicle (FCLV) on order from Alvis Vickers Ltd under a contract placed by the MoD last November, is to get an advanced self-defence weapons outfit that can be operated 24 hours a day.
Alvis has contracted with BAE Systems Avionics for an Overhead Weapons Station (OWS) consisting of a weapon mount, surveillance and target acquisition and a weapon, which can be fired under remote control by the crew inside the vehicle.

It will provide FCLV with a self-defence capability against infantry and soft-skinned vehicles up to a kilometer away, based on the current in-service 7.62mm L7 General Purpose Machine Gun. The system would be upgraded to a stabilised 12.7mm machine gun in the future.
Enhanced situational awareness and target acquisition is provided using an uncooled thermal imaging sight and colour day camera.
The OWS enables the weapon to be fired from under armour remotely, enhancing the protection of the FCLV crew.
The weapon will be remotely fired by the vehicle commander using a Flat Panel Display (FPD) and joystick control. The vehicle commander can choose to acquire targets in either TI or visual (colour) mode.
If necessary, the crew can use the weapons station in its reversionary manual mode, by manning the weapon itself.

The weapon can be dismounted from the vehicle and fired in its ground role.
A total of 401 FCLV are being procured by the Defence Procurement Agency with an expexted In Service Date of 2006.

FCLV1.jpg
FCLV.jpg

It looks like a souped up Humvee. Now we have to wait and watch as the armed forces procurement gang get their teeth into it; up goes the cost, the waiting time and eventually we'll get a system that is a shade of what it's supposed to be, late on delivery and a white elephant. I wait with no little baited breath!

Now we have to wait and watch as the armed forces procurement gang get their teeth into it; up goes the cost, the waiting time and eventually we'll get a system that is a shade of what it's supposed to be, late on delivery and a white elephant. I wait with no little baited breath!
Agreed zofo they have form for turning a good piece of kit into, well a piece of ****. :mad:

The weapon will be remotely fired by the vehicle commander using a Flat Panel Display (FPD) and joystick control.
For all the younger XBox generation, this will be a home from home. And they will be very good at it :)

Agreed zofo they have form for turning a good piece of kit into, well a piece of ****. :mad:

For all the younger XBox generation, this will be a home from home. And they will be very good at it :)

They should have stuck with the tried and true Casper APC, as far as I've heard not a single person has ever been killed by an IED in Afghanistan while they were in a Casper. And it can easily be everything with everything that glorifide hummer is supposed to have.

And really, a remote gun turret? Thats hardly revolotionary, they've been doing it since WW2, and I still can't figure out why it's not more common, atleast not in armoured vehicles

Yep, right up until it encounters it's first IED...

I was thinking the exact same thing.