1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
We are a non commercial community interested only in the discussion of all things military. We do not sell or authorise the use of images hosted on our servers, if you wish to purchase or use imagery contact the uploader directly.(you will need to register). Any requests received to purchase or use imagery will be ignored. Thank you and welcome to MI.Net
Dismiss Notice
You have been here as a guest for a while, I guess we are doing something right? Register as a member and join in the discussions, its completely free and we would welcome your contributions. All the best admin - MI.Net

Photos Ottoman Empire During WW1

Discussion in 'World war one' started by DENO, Mar 16, 2018.

1. DENO Turkey

DENO Mi Staff Sergeant TAARB MI.Net Member

Hey, on this topic I would like to share the Ottoman Army Troops during WW1 that I collected from various sources. feel free to discuss and contribute...

Gallipoli Campaign (1915-1916)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Young army recruits of Istanbul marching towards Gallipoli. 1916

[​IMG]

Ottoman infantry in trenches of Arıburnu waiting to hear commander whistle to attack

[​IMG]

Gunner corporal Seyit. During the harhest naval conflict of Dardarnelles in 1915. After loosing his entire crew he managed to raise and load a 219 kg gun shell to a Krupp naval gun on its own and fire. His shot sunk Royal Navy warship HMS Ocean. Photo was revatalized for army journalists.

[​IMG]

Mustafa Kemal Ataturk. Commander of the Turkish War of independence and the founder & first president of the Turkish Republic in Gallipoli as a Colonel. 1915

[​IMG]

Again Colonel Mustafa Kemal with his officers in Gallipoli. 1915

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2018
  2. Bombardier

Bombardier Admin & Arbiter Staff Member Site Admin

Great subject matter @DENO
    What is clear is that the British Underestimated Ottoman Forces and the Turkish Resolve to defend themselves.
    Such a bloody battle and so many losses on both sides. My respect to the dead and dying from that part of the war both Allied and Ottoman.

We At Mi.Net Salute You.

3. Bombardier

The Hood, BravoZulu and DENO like this.
  4. DENO Turkey

It was indeed. I remember that during my visit to actual conflict zone which most of the trenches, pillboxes and the scrapped equipment preserved our guide showed me a hill just next to the beach and told us that in 1916 both of the sides lost more than 10,000 soldiers just on this tiny hill just in one day. So they kept it just like that because in that time they did not have enough space to burry all of the corpses. It was very drastic to see how soldiers fought against each others in the trenches just 10-15 meters away from each others. Even in ceasefires they had change to play football and trade their stuff between them...

Ottoman troops in Palestine, 1915

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

British POWs

[​IMG]

The Hood, BravoZulu and Bombardier like this.
  5. Bombardier

Fascinating photos, I hope I can find some that will enlighten us on this subject further.

The last photo shows British Prisoners, they look well cared for given the circumstances.

The Hood, BravoZulu and DENO like this.
  6. DENO Turkey

Ottoman machine gun corps in Gaza frontline, 1916

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Low caliber field gun used as AA gun against allied planes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

British MK.III tank knocked out by Ottoman artillery while it was trying to pass a trench in Gaza frontline. 1917

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mobile field radio team of the Ottoman Army, firstly used in Palestine Frontline

[​IMG]

7. DENO Turkey

[​IMG]

Afghan and Pakistani volunteers who fought for Ottomans in Palestine Campaign after the Sultan's call to arms to all Muslims as Khalifa

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ottoman cavalry, unknown location. Judging from the buildings somewhere in Central/Western Anatolia I assume...

[​IMG]

Ottoman Navy battleship and sailors. Ottoman Navy became almost passive during WWI due to the Allied naval superiority. However they managed to organize some sneak attacks and sunk some allied vessels, especially with the submarines...

[​IMG]

postimage missing

8. DENO Turkey

Galician Frontline of 1915-1916

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kaiser Wilhelm inspecting Turkish troops near Tarnopol. 1916

[​IMG]

9. Bombardier

Im not rying to hijack your thread about the Ottomans but thought this might offer an insight into at least one of the battles

Alexander Bastin McColl. Diary entry for 25-26 April 1915,MSX-8204, Alexander Turnbull Library

At 6 am this morning a move was made. We pulled anchor and moved slowly out. The warships and fleet left a little before us & presented a great sight. We are following two big barges. Absolutely magnificent scenery. Everyone greatly excited.

At the time of writing can see the warships bombarding & the Tommies landing under cover. A magnificent sight. We are landing further up. Half the Coy landed about 4pm and I with the other half did not get ashore until 11pm. About 7pm they commenced fetching wounded aboard our ship as all the hospital ships were full.

The Australians who landed first performed brilliantly but lost heavily so also did our Auckland & Canterbury boys. We got about 100 wounded before leaving some of them being awfully bad.

At midnight we got orders to line a ridge just above headquarters & we have here all day. Fighting has been continuous for 15 hours but we have been lucky enough to have only [shrapnel bursting over us & a few bullets.]

War diary. McColl, Alexander Bastin (Captain), 1892-1916 : War diaries. Ref: MSX-8204. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand.

http://natlib.govt.nz/records/23188096

BravoZulu and DENO like this.
  10. Bombardier

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A WW1-wartime picture of Turkish POW with his post-1913 kabalak wrapped in cloth, and tied with tape. The 1916 Turkish Army Handbook states: " ... rank and file were supplied in 1913 and 1914 with a new head-covering ... a long strip of khaki cloth tied spirally on the head and forming a sort of soft helmet, which can easily be mistaken for the British khaki helmet in a bad light.” (British General Staff. (1995) 1916 Handbook of the Turkish Army. Battery Press, Nashville: 50)

Read More - https://www.ottoman-uniforms.com/ww1-ottoman-army-uniforms/

11. DENO Turkey

Here some Identification illustrations of the Ottoman troops from different branches/ranks as a part of Men-At-Arms series Book made by Osprey Publishing...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. DENO Turkey

I just bumped into these when I was surfing on the internet. The photos of the last living Turkish and Australian soldier of the Gallipoli Campaign Adil Şahin (94) and Len Hall (93) shaking hands of each others during the 75th anniversary of the Campaign of 1990 in Gallipoli Turkey. Both joined the war as military recruits at the age of 17.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Bombardier

That's an amazing photo of 2 previous adversaries meeting :)

BravoZulu, The Hood and NebrHogger like this.
  14. DENO Turkey

Thank you @Bombardier for editing my posts with the new image links that I provided !

Here is an Ottoman propaganda poster dropped over ANZAC troops by planes during the Gallipoli Campaign. I heard the rumors but never seen one of them untill I came up to this...

[​IMG]

15. DENO Turkey

Some photos of the Ottoman Navy pilot Captain Ahmet Ali Celikten Who also known as "Arab Ali". He was the worlds first African pilot and also the first and only African military pilot who fought during the WWI. After from the war He continued to serve in Turkish Navy as a maritime reconnaissance pilot up untill his retirement of 1949.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bombardier, BravoZulu and berkut76 like this.