Mil News Naval Station Great Lakes on LOCKDOWN


Mi Field Marshall
MI.Net Member
Jul 12, 2006
The Naval Station Great Lakes was on lockdown Friday morning as authorities looked for a "gate runner" just before a graduation ceremony was set to take place.

The station posted a message on Facebook urging people "take cover in nearest building or structure." Those inside were told to "run, hide, fight" and "await instruction."

All gates were closed at the facility.

Sgt. Christopher Covelli with the Lake County Sheriff's office said a car crashed in front of a gate at the facility and authorities were searching for a person inside the base.

A public information officer for the base, however, said a driver went through an area where credentials are required but did not show credentials to the guard and continued into the naval base.

A post from the base just before 9 a.m. Friday said the facility remained on lockdown as authorities "reacted to a minor situation involving an unauthorized entry."

"No one was harmed and no property was damaged," the post read.

A message on the base's website states the graduation ceremony was being delayed by one hour and was expected to begin at 10 a.m. instead of 9 a.m. "due to a variety of circumstances."

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The "gate runner" who sparked an hours-long lockdown at the Naval Station Great Lakes turned out to be an employee with access to the grounds, officials said.

The naval station said that around 7 a.m., a driver in a black Toyota Camry "made unauthorized entry" in a gate and the driver did not follow directions. The move prompted a lockdown at the main side of the base and sparked a search of the property, delaying a graduation that was set to take place.

The vehicle was later found around 9:30 a.m. and the driver was taken into custody. The station said the driver turned out to be an employee with authorized access to the base.

The vehicle and surrounding areas were swept by military working dogs and several buildings were evacuated. No injuries or damage to property were reported, the station said.

The lockdown was lifted, a spokesperson for the station said, but the east entrance remained closed as security was heightened at other locations.

A message on the station's website stated the graduation ceremony was being delayed.

Meanwhile, around the same time, a civilian vehicle caught fire outside the station in an incident officials said was unrelated to the gate runner.


Similar threads