Other Post A naval version for Warhawk?

pampa14

Mi Sergeant
MI.Net Member
I share with you some pictures of fighters Curtiss P-40 operating aboard aircraft carriers or on the flight deck. Some questions for aviation and history enthusiasts of WW2. There was a naval version of the P-40? Which countries have used during the war and which Operating Theatres? To view photos visit the link below:

0a64fd57.webp

http://aviacaoemfloripa.blogspot.com.br/2011/02/curtiss-p-40-em-porta-avioes.html

Best Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have read that the USAAF 325th Fighter Group used the P40 on carriers.

While at Langley field Virginia, the Group received new P-40s and began training to launch their planes from Naval aircraft carriers. On the 7th of January, they flew their P40's to the Naval Air Station, at Norfolk. They taxied their planes through the streets, with the aid of "wing walkers", to the USS RANGER, where naval personnel hoisted them on deck. The Group embarked for North Africa on 8 Jan, arriving off the coast of Casablanca late on the 18th.

P-40s_aboard_USS_Ranger.webp

P40's aboard USS ranger

Last edited:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Were they just transported to land based airfields or did they operate them from the carriers. i can see that in pampa's picture what appears to be an arrester hook at the back?

Were they just transported to land based airfields or did they operate them from the carriers. i can see that in pampa's picture what appears to be an arrester hook at the back?

They were just launched, they weren't returning to the carriers. In the majority of cases I am aware of, P-40s were onboard purely for transport to the front lines. For example, from memory the 49th FG at one point used a carrier to relocate a number of their aircraft while deployed in Australia.