Gnarlycharlie

Mi Staff Sergeant
MI.Net Member
Another thread on military art. There are already a couple of them here, but neither had been running long so I think there's still a quite a bit to cover. However, I have doubts whether this thread is even necessary because most art I see is posted in galleries. And this leaves a question - is this thread necessary at all?

If it does, then post whichever military art you like. It can be military art based off real events WWI, WWII, Iraq war, Syria war or any other military conflict, battle or just a tribute to any unit or army. It can be a neat bookcover art, sci-fi art, historically themmed military related art. Also, insignias of different units if you like.

And of course I'm goin to post Stuart Brown's art pieces because they are so good and each has a story, even though most people who are remotely interested in military saw his works already. You can post them yourself, that is if you want to of course.

Goint to start of with Faraz Shanyar works.

The work is titled "Cossacks" I presume Kuban cossacks judging from the get up.
faraz-shanyar-ghcolor2.jpg

Untitled piece depicts legioners wearing the famous lorica segmentata
faraz-shanyar-romancolor15.jpg

Work titled "unknown soldier".

faraz-shanyar-untitled-artwork.jpg

One of Aivazovskiy's (Ovanes Ayvazyan) battle pieces, he first got into a battle piece class in the academy, wrote quite a bit of marine battle pieces.

This one depicts a battle of brig "Mercuriy" (Mercury) against two Turkish linear ships on May 26th, 1829 during one of the Russian-Turkish wars, specificaly 1828—1829 "war". Supposedly he drove them off inflicting damage as the result of battle.

Aivazovsky,_Brig_Mercury_Attacked_by_Two_Turkish_Ships_1892.jpg

The aftermath of "Merkuriy".
Aivasovsky_Ivan_Constantinovich_merkuri_1848_IBI.jpg

Last edited:
Bookcover art by James Warhola for sci-fi novel "Starship Troopers" by R. A. Heinlein . Really got stuck to me when I was younger as well as "Moon Is a Harsh Mistress". I take whatever WH40k drove inspiration from this one novel was amoung the sources.

starship-troopers-e1290464999503.jpg

A piece by Stuart Brown titled "Explosive Entry". A tribute to "Operation Nimrod" aka Iranian Embassy siege. The event took place from 30th of April to 5th of May 1980. The breach was conducted by the members of 22nd Special Air Service regiment. It resulted in 5 terrorists killed and 1 captured and 1 hostage dead and several injured.

The operation got a wide coverage in the media and became one of the most famous counter-terrorist ops in the modern history. It got several documentaries as well as a movie "6 Days".

Explosive-Entry-SAS.jpg