29 Commando RA welcomed home

John A Silkstone

Mi General
MI.Net Member
soldiers from Afghanistan
Soldiers paraded through Plymouth city centre today along streets lined with thousands of spectators waving Union Flags to mark their homecoming from Afghanistan.

Hundreds of people line the streets as brave troops are given a heroes welcome in their home city of Plymouth after returning from a six-month tour of Afghanistan

The 450 men of 29 Commando Regiment Royal Artillery returned from a six month tour of the country earlier this week.

Today's march-past, service of thanksgiving and parade brought the city centre to a standstill as thousands of relatives and well-wishers turned out in support.

But the occasion was marked with sadness as the troops remembered two of their fallen comrades, Captain Tom Sawyer and Lieutenant Aaron Lewis, who were killed in action.

Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Colonel Neil Wilson, said: "Captain Tom Sawyer and Lieutenant Aaron Lewis are missed dreadfully by us all, our thoughts remain very much with their families.

"Despite these losses, the morale of my regiment could not be higher.

"My men are, without fail, upbeat about what they have achieved and how they have fared.

"They have good reason to be. Despite living in austere conditions, in a harsh working environment, and under an ever-present enemy threat, they have all performed superbly and have received endless praise from all directions for their sheer professionalism, dedications to duty, and defiantly positive attitude."

Carol Fahy travelled from Bolton, Greater Manchester, to see her son gunner Nick Powell, 24, who flew back to Exeter Airport yesterday.

Mrs Fahy was joined by her daughter Lauren Powell and Nick's partner Isla Warren, who were all draped in Union Flags.

Mrs Fahy said: "It is absolutely essential to have something like this, it makes everything they've been through feel worthwhile.

"We are so proud of him, we wanted to wear the Union Jack to show that we are proud to be British and what better day to be patriotic then today."

Ms Warren said: "I saw him for the first time yesterday and it was really nerve-racking, but we are so happy to have him home in one piece."

Ivy Cox, 95, from Plympton, said it was Dunkirk spirit that encouraged her to turn out in support of the troops.

"I've been through two world wars and my husband served in Dunkirk, North Africa and Italy during the Second World War.

"So I know what it is like to have a loved one at war in another part of the world and I have always supported the services.

"It is wonderful to see them parading, it reminds me of when I saw my husband off at the railway station all those years ago."