war films

My favoite was Siege of Firebase Gloria,

I have a friend who was at Hamburger Hill I will have to ask him, I was just across the Highway from him on Mutter's ridge. Lema 3/3 and India 3/3 in '69.

But all of them are from the view of Hollywood, IMHO any connection to a hollywood movie and reality is completely a accident.

They advertised that We were Soldiers was the first to treat Viet-Cong and Bac Biet well, Siege of firebase gloria did a better job and was made way before that movie. But I guess the reviewer. khong tieng biet...... There The VC regulars Co and young lt had some funny discussions.

We were soldier was a good movie. Problem is being there, you know who looks like what. I worked with Kit Carson scouts, and part of the job was telling by the looks of a person where they were from, South, North, Chinese, etc.

I have a friend who near me was a medic then.

Reloader said:
On the Aussie theme & movies, has anyone seen 'The Odd Angry Shot', about Australian SAS in Vietnam? It's always been one of my favourites and seems to me that for its time (1979), it was a realistic portrayal of behind-the-lines operations. camo;

There suppose to be a very good Aussie movie out, not available in the States, Firebase..... Something...

disregard, 03Fox2/1

Last edited by a moderator:
disregard, 03Fox2/1

03Fox2/1 said:
REFERENCE TO HOLLIS,
One more observation from me. The correct spelling in the Marine Corps is
Lima company, not Lema. You also misspelled this in your Bio.

Spelling is not my forte'. I am USMC RETIRED, I am medically retired, 100% P = peminent & T= total disable.

You can google Mutter's ridge, it was west of Khe Sahn, sort of the cap going into the Ashau.

Looks sometimes, also dialect, features help

Kit Carson we had Three, Hoi, Trum and Ding. My counter part was Hoi. Hoi and Ding were find people.

I was 0353 and 0311 in RVN.

I was in RV in 1969, famous Marines, Captain Krulick of Lima Company.... Became CMC, a Boot Lt in Kilo, Lt North as in Oliver North..... Never realise North was there just another Lt.

My Co was Capt. Krulick when I was in Lima, then Captain Trott when I was in India.

I live in Oregon Now, I am retired and kind of old

edited, My avatar is 0353.

um tieng biet?

Semper Fi

H.

Hey Hollis,
What's your friends name who was on Hamburger Hill? I was there, maybe I know him. What unit was he with, company, battalion and regiment. What highway are you talking about?

Bill Farnie said:
Hey Hollis,
What's your friends name who was on Hamburger Hill? I was there, maybe I know him. What unit was he with, company, battalion and regiment. What highway are you talking about?

The Highway is 9, I believe, runs east to west from Dong ha (approximate) to Khe Sahn or pass that. My understanding Hamburder Hill was south and slightly west of were our TAR was.

I'll have to ask him, I know him as Abe, he is a big guy. He is not doing very well, has leasion/tumors form AO (he is 100% P&T also). I wish I had a better memory, we talk over Telephone or internet for some time. I need to send him a email, and see how he is doing. He has told me that, but I never remember that stuff.

I will email him right away, and let you know the responce.

Hey Hollis,

Heard from Abe yet???????????

Bill Farnie said:
Hey Hollis,

Bill I have not, I know he has been having a lot of problems with A/O, he is 100 P%T too. He could be on trip. I will send him another email, if I don't hear from him in a day or two.

H.

Bill Farnie said:
Hey Hollis,

Bill, I sent him another email, If I get nothing, I will give him a call.

H.

Bill, I've got the movie "Hamburger Hill" on DVD. I don't know which one you've got but in mine they did a CA and not by truck. My movie is vintage 1987.

Andy, FYI. General Moore(Ret.) was one of the advisors for the movie. If you haven't already, get the DVD. It has the edited scenes in the special section. Hal Moore and his wife Julie(Who has since passed away) are in the chapel scene. By the way, Julie Moore is buried at Fort Benning beside Sgt. Jack Gell, one of the many casualties of the Ia Drang Campaign.

Bill Farnie said:
Hey Hollis,

I called him, and he said your name sounds familiar, his last name was Christensen, AKA Crazy Swede. He was in the 3/5 Cav, Blacknights.

He told me he was the first person to drive a APC into the Ashau Valley, They tried to drive the APC up hamburger hill, but could not do it. They stayed back and supported the infantry.

Sorry for the delay, He has been having a bunch of health problems.

H.

I doubt if he knows me. I don't know anyone from the 3/5 Cav., although they were in the A Shau with us and are cited in the PUC for Dong Ap Bia. What role they played I have no idea because I only saw them at FSB Currahee. They actually could have had nothing to do with the taking of the hills for some of the units cited on the PUC are a joke and only played a supporting role. Armor didn't get to go up Hill 937 until well after it was taken. They went up, got mortared and left. I guess when he says he was on Hamburger Hill it must have been then.

Now, Hamburger Hill and your being across a highway on Mutters Ridge from Abe couldn't have happened. QL-9 passes nowhere near the A Shau Valley. In fact, it isn't even in the same province. You say Mutters Ridge was west of Khe Sahn, well that's not true. Mutters Ridge was well east of Khe Sahn, northeast actually, and north of The Rockpile. So what's the story Hollis?

Oh yea, almost forgot. I see you list two MOS's. Which one was your primary MOS?

Bill Farnie said:
I doubt if he knows me. I don't know anyone from the 3/5 Cav., although they were in the A Shau with us and are cited in the PUC for Dong Ap Bia. What role they played I have no idea because I only saw them at FSB Currahee. They actually could have had nothing to do with the taking of the hills for some of the units cited on the PUC are a joke and only played a supporting role. Armor didn't get to go up Hill 937 until well after it was taken. They went up, got mortared and left. I guess when he says he was on Hamburger Hill it must have been then.

Now, Hamburger Hill and your being across a highway on Mutters Ridge from Abe couldn't have happened. QL-9 passes nowhere near the A Shau Valley. In fact, it isn't even in the same province. You say Mutters Ridge was west of Khe Sahn, well that's not true. Mutters Ridge was well east of Khe Sahn, northeast actually, and north of The Rockpile. So what's the story Hollis?

I am not bothering with a responce, I deleted what I type. Your right about Khe Sahn. My error.

Bill Farnie said:
I'm not surprised at all.

just be sure you sweep under you bed at night, um moui mo ang

I'll sleep just fine gia

Lets go over a few things

First you say you have a friend who was on Hamburger Hill, turns out he wasn’t, and you claim that you were across the highway from him on Mutters Ridge, but you couldn’t have been. You misspelled Lima twice, but you claim that spelling isn’t your forte` but strangely, for someone who’s a crummy speller you knew enough to include the ` in forte. Back to the word Lima though, anyone who was in the Corp and even more then that, anyone who was in Vietnam knows it’s not spelt Lema and would never write it as such. Lima was such a big part of a military person’s vocabulary that it would be very hard to forget the spelling. You referred to a Kit Carson Scout as a counterpart. Kit Carson Scouts were not counterparts and would never be called by that name.

You didn’t answer my question about what was your primary MOS when you went to RVN. What was the condition that made the Corp medically retire you?

I’m not impressed with your trying to write in Vietnamese, for anyone can just use an on line translator.

So what's the story Hollis?

Hollis..Ong tich nuoc mam khong? Ong yeu ong, ba o co?

Advisor said:
Hollis..Ong tich nuoc mam khong? Ong yeu ong, ba o co?

Toi tieng titi biet, zin loi. Toi ba, son va con? Nuoc mam nhi? Nguyen chat ca com tuoi? Thom ngon bo tihn khet? Cai do nuoc mam?

Back