Hollo
How can or how do you imagine how this war should end or ended.
The country is bleeding, there are still families who have no dead.
This war has already been forgotten in the EU. Your economy cannot develop positively.
Entry into NATO or EU is not possible in this state.
The Russians will never give up the Crimea or anything else.
how does it go on?
?
It's really depressing to see these pictures. Ukraine is in a terrible position; Russia is too powerful and the price is too high for Western nations to intervene, so they just content themselves with sitting this one out.

It's really depressing to see these pictures. Ukraine is in a terrible position; Russia is too powerful and the price is too high for Western nations to intervene, so they just content themselves with sitting this one out.

From my perspective, exactly, playing for time. Hoping that Russia will do something stupid (for example, gets fed up with Lukashenko and annex Belarus) or some major internal crisis will significantly weaken Russia's position.

From the military standpoint, this grinding infantry trench warfare is advantageous to Ukrainians since they have proven to be superior to Russian forces in this slow, small unit size engagements. It goes without saying that Ukrainian armed forces don't have a prayer against conventional, combined arms multi-prong assault by the Russian army.

What I don't understand is why Moscow doesn't just admit to what they're doing. Everybody knows anyway, and no one is going to do anything about it. But it's insulting they still try to maintain this charade of "soldiers on vacation". Those "vacationers" "loaned" entire battalions of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation, for heaven's sake. The documentation is in this very thread.

It begs the question why they don't advance further, and I think that @Talibanhunter hit the nail right on the head. Either outcome – victory or defeat – would create new problems which Mr. Putin might not want to have on his hands, but it's advantageous for Russia to maintain the current status quo. It prevents Ukraine from seeking further integration with the West, and it sends a strong message to other states of the collapsed former Soviet Union not to poke the bear.

From my perspective, exactly, playing for time. ......
IMHO playing on time for Ukraina is not wisest thing to do, but ok.
If they plan to do something they have to do it fast.

Ukraina is in terrible demographic situation. They lose hundreds of thousands of people in natural change only (no. of dead compared with no. of newborns), but even worse emigration is huge. And at same time level of economy, quality of institutions and infrastructure is in bad shape (and it will be for many more years) so they could hardly attract immigrants.
Even if they do have better economy situaton every year, they need at least 20-30 years to reach Poland level, and Poland only now manage to stop emigration, and to be attractive to immigrants ( mostly from Ukraine and Muslim countries). I was in Warsaw last year and Ukrainians are everywhere.

They lose about 250000 people yearly in natural change: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Ukraine
They didn't had cansus for more then 20 years so it is not sure how many people actually live in Ukraine but estimations are grime, apparently they lost more then 20%of population :

Almost two decades after the last official population census in Ukraine showed that 48.5 million people lived in the country, fresh results of an electronic census were finally released on Jan. 23.
The data showed that only 37.3 million people were present in Ukraine as of Dec.1 in 2019, said Dmitry Dubilet, minister of the Cabinet of Ministers, during the press conference.
“This is the real number of people who are physically present on a specific date,” said Dubilet, noting that the figure doesn’t include Ukrainians abroad, but takes into account foreigners who are present in Ukraine.

What I don't understand is why Moscow doesn't just admit to what they're doing. Everybody knows anyway, and no one is going to do anything about it. But it's insulting they still try to maintain this charade of "soldiers on vacation". Those "vacationers" "loaned" entire battalions of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation, for heaven's sake. The documentation is in this very thread.

It begs the question why they don't advance further, and I think that @Talibanhunter hit the nail right on the head. Either outcome – victory or defeat – would create new problems which Mr. Putin might not want to have on his hands, but it's advantageous for Russia to maintain the current status quo. It prevents Ukraine from seeking further integration with the West, and it sends a strong message to other states of the collapsed former Soviet Union not to poke the bear.

Don't really want to get too political in the photo thread but the short answer: it is far more beneficial to save resources. (keep im mind that it is my personal opinion) Also, your second paragraph is true - make Ukraine a Finland circa 1947.

It makes a world of difference from legal standpoint. It is very convinient for everyone to to have this position de jure despite what happens de facto. Whether russia admits itself as an agressor or not directly relates to the severety of sanctions and their standing in all EU and international organizations e.g. PACE, Interpol, OSCE etc. + many ecomic projects like Nord Stream. Morover, it may lead to the intensification of lethal arms support for Ukrainian army. So admitting it will lead only to losses.

Despite what you might think, russia is not that strong (It's not a Soviet Union even though they try to play the part) and has a LOT of it's own problems. It would be fine if say they were waging war against CRI (though we saw how thay played out) or Georgia but Ukraine is whole different piece of cake just by sheer numbers, even despite crippling corruption, complete immaturity of civil society and complete disarray in the collective unconscious.

russia cannot afford to lose too much resources (I mean not only economic, but also human, political stability etc.) in this conflict. Otherwise in future it may lead to a very high probability of it's own demise and further disintegration in the best case scenario (not for russia of course). That is precisely why they halted all their major military advances since 2015-2016 period.

They can't beat UA army swiftly without lousing too much stability. This made Kremlin deploy divide et impera tactics to make already weak state crumble from within and they are quite successful as the last year elections proven. So this conflict is likely to go out with a whimper rather than with a bang as it was the case with Georgia. Quite soon you may see Ukraine pay contibutions to the so called republics for startiong a "civil war" and russia made a "benevolent mediator and peacekeeper" and I assure most de jure "Ukrainians" will love it. So dont't be sorry for Ukraine (if you are), it doesn't deserve your sympathy as it is now.

Last edited:
Tremendous blow to Ukrainians and once again the loss that hits very close to me, personally. On November 30th, 2019 during search and destroy operation against the Russian recon team, Ukrainian forces lost two senior officers, both Colonels in SBU ALFA CTU team, Denis Volochaev and Dmytro Kaplunov just 38 and 39 years respectively.

View attachment 196962

A combined group of SSU "Alpha" snipers (Security Service of Ukraine also known as SBU for Служба безпеки України) and presumably though unlikely 73-rd marine centre of spechial operations. Place and time - unknown.

One on the far right is Lieutenant-Colonel Dmytro Kaplunov (though I don't have 100% source). Maybe Berkut will be able to elaborate. Just a little illustration to show that "Alpha" sniper teams have been actively working on the frontlines since 2014. Such teams are very effective in the trench warfare of today. Word has it that personal data of SSU "Alpha" sniper teams i. e. personal info including but not limited to names, callsigns and other data was leaked to russian resources back in 2014. Hope you can get an extent of corruption and treachery.
H7fyzMCzLII.jpg

A combined group of SSU "Alpha" snipers (Security Service of Ukraine also known as SBU for Служба безпеки України) and presumably though unlikely 73-rd marine centre of spechial operations. Place and time - unknown.

One on the far right is Lieutenant-Colonel Dmytro Kaplunov (though I don't have 100% source). Maybe Berkut will be able to elaborate. Just a little illustration to show that "Alpha" sniper teams have been actively working on the frontlines since 2014. Such teams are very effective in the trench warfare of today. Word has it that personal data of SSU "Alpha" sniper teams i. e. personal info including but not limited to names, callsigns and other data was leaked to russian resources back in 2014. Hope you can get an extent of corruption and treachery.
View attachment 205920

I have very strict security protocols with my guys. I don't know who they are. I insist that all the photos that they send me to be taken on a camera rather than a smart phone. As for the leaks in 2014, well about a third of Alfa operatives dissolved in a thin air when the war started. The leaks could have come from anywhere. The biggest issue in my opinion is that the guys neglect basic security and common sense rules when it comes to the use of smart phones.

Last edited:
I have very strict security protocols with my guys. I don't know who they are. I insist that all the photos that they send me to be taken on a camera rather than a smart phone. As for the leaks in 2014, well about a third of Alfa operatives dissolved in a thin air when the war started. The leaks could have come from anywhere. The biggest issue in my opinion is that the guys neglected basic security and common sense rules when it comes to the use of smart phones.
Honestly I haven't heard about any major incidents involvig special forces or SSU and smarthphones. Although, I agree and I wish that some members of the special forces wouldn't use smartphones at all, instead of seeking attention on Instagram while leaking at least their identy amoung other sensitive data online. But we have no policy regarding use of media and Ukrainians have pretty low technological education on average.

However, on the upside russian forces leaking photos of themselves in Ukraine online was a surely a posivitive thing. I guess Indian military has it worst with secrecy and leaks online.

BRDM-2 looks modernized (not just new coat of paint :) )
Yes, those are BRDM-2L1- a modification from Ukroboronprom as far as I can tell (UPD: Yep, it's them https://ukroboronprom.com.ua/uk/med...dlya-zbrojnyh-syl-ukrayiny-fotoreportazh.html ). Quite strange if you ask me. They've got new headsets for tank crews, new BRDMs, likely new BMPs. Morover their gear is quite decent for such a low priority unit (and I mean it, they started as a territorial defence brigade), many even wear relatively new Corsairs with camouflage pattern which I almoust never see in other infantry brigades. Either their commander has some connections, or they are just showing off an a battalion scale.

Last edited:
Yes, those are BRDM-2L1- a modification from Ukroboronprom as far as I can tell (UPD: Yep, it's them https://ukroboronprom.com.ua/uk/med...dlya-zbrojnyh-syl-ukrayiny-fotoreportazh.html ). Quite strange if you ask me. They've got new headsets for tank crews, new BRDMs, likely new BMPs. Morover their gear is quite decent for such a low priority unit (and I mean it, they started as a territorial defence brigade), many even wear relatively new Corsairs with camouflage pattern which I almoust never see in other infantry brigades. Either their commander has some connections, or they are just showing off an a battalion scale.

57th is deployed regularly to the front line, so I don't find it surprising that they got some new stuff, but I don;t think they got a lot of it :) Anyway, you are far more versed in this subject than I am, and the thread is "yours" to lead. I'm passing the baton to you notworthy; ukra:-

57th is deployed regularly to the front line, so I don't find it surprising that they got some new stuff, but I don;t think they got a lot of it :) Anyway, you are far more versed in this subject than I am, and the thread is "yours" to lead. I'm passing the baton to you notworthy; ukra:-
Appreciated, but I don't think I'm big enough for this boots. Morover, quite soon I won't be able to have a lot of free time but whatever.

Inside the "Neptune" command veichle. And "Vilha" latest tests

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
163935.jpg