Other Post The Home Guard.

Derrick Stephenson

Major
MI.Net Member
Two experiences told to me by my Father-in- Law when he was in the Home Guard during WW2.
His platoon was tasked with patrolling the local shipyards, (where he also worked as a riveter), but had only one rifle between them, and the ammo was kept locked in the Sergeant's desk. One Sunday morning parade, Jack was the proud carrier of the unit's rifle, came smartly to attention, shot the bolt to show the rifle wasn't loaded, and presented the rifle to the Sergeant for inspection. As the Sergeant accepted the rifle, a spider crawled out of the barrel!!!
Another time, he and one of his mates were walking along one of the shipyard piers on patrol when : ratatatatatatat. Thinking they were under attack from a German bomber (which often attacked the shipyards and local steelworks), they both dived into the dock. On surfacing, they saw a little boy running alongside one of the buildings pressing a piece of wood against the corrugated sheets, which of course was making the ratatatatat noise.
To cap it all, they also lost the rifle!!!!
Derrick.

To cap it all, they also lost the rifle!!!!

Oops, no rifle?. It just goes to show what a shamble our home defence was. Could we have defended ourselves if Hitler did invade?? :?

Could we have defended ourselves if Hitler did invade

Dont be so dismissive, have you ever seen, what a 60 year old armed with a broom handle and a bread knife tied to it can do to a platoon of german paratroopers, armed with MG-42's. :D

My grandfather was in the Home Guard and was sent to guard the Rolls Royce factory in Derby. He had no weapon himself but shared a vintage one with his mates. I wouldn't have liked to have crossed him on a dark night, armed with whatever he may have been issued (or pinched from my grandmother!). Still, a nazi paratrooper with a proper gun may have had the edge!
The tv series "Dad's Army" although ridiculously funny, contained much truth according to my Father and Granddad!

Occasionally, my Father-in-Law would be sent to Teesmouth (about 6 miles away) on a bike patrol. In the event of invasion, he was supposed to cycle back to the sergeant to get ammunition for the rifle.
Derrick.