1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
We are a non commercial community interested only in the discussion of all things military. We do not sell or authorise the use of images hosted on our servers, if you wish to purchase or use imagery contact the uploader directly.(you will need to register). Any requests received to purchase or use imagery will be ignored. Thank you and welcome to MI.Net
Dismiss Notice
You have been here as a guest for a while, I guess we are doing something right? Register as a member and join in the discussions, its completely free and we would welcome your contributions. All the best admin - MI.Net

Book Sniper One

Discussion in 'All other military discussion' started by Reloader, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Reloader

Reloader Mi Lieutenant MI.Net Member

For those who have read 'Dusty Warriors', by Prof. Richard Holmes, this book will in parts seem familiar, as its events all took place during the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment's deployment to Iraq in 2004. While Prof. Holmes account chronicled the events of the whole battlegroup, this book deals with those events encountered in and around CIMIC House in Al-Amarah, by that regiment's 'Y' Company and in particular by their Sniper Platoon, led by the author, Sgt. Dan Mills.
    Surrounded by hostile insurgents latterly, the siege of CIMIC House during this tour has been likened to a modern-day Rorke's Drift, except the 'Zulus' in this case had Mortars, RPG's and Rockets in their arsenal! In one 10-day period alone, there were 525 seperate mortar bombs launched at the defenders, who upheld the finest traditions of the British Army in their defence of this small compound, literally almost to the last round until eventually relieved by a column of some 100 vehicles, including 12 Challenger II tanks and seventy-odd Warrior AFV's, who fought through the city to reach the beleagured defenders.
    I devoured this book in short time. It is one of the best first-hand accounts of modern soldiering I have read, told in the honest and often humorous language of the typical British Tom. Highly recommended.

SNIPER

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2008
  2. CplFoodspoiler

CplFoodspoiler Mi Recruit MI.Net Member

I agree, I read this book in a day. Gritty and down to earth, a first class read.

3. Matzos United Kingdom

Matzos Mi Captain MI.Net Member

Sniper one, an excellent book I could not put down once I started solthum