To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A Mexican navy Bo-105 Bölkow helicopter fires two 70 mm high-explosive rockets at the decommissioned Spruance-class destroyer ex-USS Conolly (DD 979) while under way in the Atlantic Ocean during a sinking exercise in support of UNITAS Gold 29 April 2009

View attachment 137488

I wonder if the Mexican pilot is thinking, "Wow, this Spruance I'm shooting at is 20 years newer and 10 times more capable than the front line ships sailing in the Mexican Navy".

I stripped these from my Sinkex thread from TAARB.

Nice work mate, on one hand they are spectacular sights and on the other seems a shame these great ships meet an end like that.

I wonder if the Mexican pilot is thinking, "Wow, this Spruance I'm shooting at is 20 years newer and 10 times more capable than the front line ships sailing in the Mexican Navy".

LOL I guess so Mil-smile01mil-smile04

Lots and lots of SINKEX videos on you tube. I'll post some later.

Interesting comment. and it speaks..

Did you gents know that not a single one of the retire Spruance class DDs was sold or gifted to another nation? Plenty of FFGs, patrol craft, LSTs but no Spru-Cans...not one....curious...

Lots and lots of SINKEX videos on you tube. I'll post some later.

Interesting comment. and it speaks..

Did you gents know that not a single one of the retire Spruance class DDs was sold or gifted to another nation? Plenty of FFGs, patrol craft, LSTs but no Spru-Cans...not one....curious...

My take? All politics. The Navy brass wanted them "disappeared" and quickly! What a waste.

The only ones which survived were the 4 Kidd class, which were built for Iran and now are owned by Taiwan.

ex-USS Fife (DD 991) is sent to a watery grave....

ex-USS Odgen (LPD 5)..Ogden was know as the Augie Doggy...

Found this photo of HMS Sirius posted some tome ago by @Zofo I believe this was his brothers old ship

View attachment 105073

I also found this picture of HMS Lowestoft

View attachment 105074

Sunk by a Tigerfish Torpedo fired from HMS Conqueror (June 6th 1986)
This image of hms sirius. I saw some comments about the raf dropping freefall weapons?. Not true. Niether was it sunk by a tigerfish. The tigerfish snapped her in half but it didnt sink. The royal navy helo shot a.sea skua air to surface at her too. We also shot 50 heit rounds from the 4.5 at her for a bit of fun. There was one rn ship and a sub. Not "half the fleet" as i saw in one comment. The watertight doors where closed up forward so the bow stayed afloat. It was sunk by me....with a 30mm aa cannon using heit rounds on a starboard turret. One day I will never forget. Watching the tigerfish and the sea skua hit was a hell of a sight. Just wanted to clear that up for you. :)

Previously posted here by @BravoZulu

A Mexican MBB Bo 105 firing a volley of 2.75-inch unguided rockets at the decommissioned destroyer USS Conolly (DD 979) during the sinking exercise UNITAS Gold. April 29, 2009

fuy3guox0aagrut-format-jpg-name-large-jpg.jpg

...from a different angle. One of the Bo 105's 2.75 inch rockets hitting USS Connolly's foremast

fuy3sarxgamudr_-format-jpg-name-4096x4096-jpg.jpg

Live fire is used to gain systems proficiency while sinking a retired U.S. Navy vessel during the annual Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) 2022 military forces exercises. This year’s target was the retired guided missile frigate USS Rodney M. Davis which sustained multiple strikes and was ultimately sent to the bottom on July 12, in waters 15,000 feet deep, 50 nautical miles north of Kauai, Hawaii.
(photos and video courtesy of Commander of US Pacific Fleet)

SINKEX-2022.afbf6e.c98d14.jpg

SINKEX-2022-aftermath-US-Navy-photo.jpg

Since several years Portugal has been sinking warships in a controled manner in order to create artificial reefs for diving tourists

WOW, neat stuff here!! Great thread, THANKS for setting it up!! (Y)

Since several years Portugal has been sinking warships in a controled manner in order to create artificial reefs for diving tourists

Yes its a good idea. The Navy of my country, Colombia has been doing the same thing. They have been building a submarine park and I have the pleasure to dive on an old minesweeper ship very close to Cartagena de Indias, where is located the most important Colombian Navy Naval Base.

and

Colombian navy submarine destroys ship with a DM2A3 Seehecht torpedo

The National Navy of Colombia successfully tested and for the first time in the Colombian oceans its modern and powerful DM2A3 Seehecht bivalent anti-ship torpedoes that are deployed in the four Type 209/1200 and U206B oceanic and coastal submarines operating under the jurisdiction of the Submarine Flotilla of the Caribbean Naval Force. These powerful weapons can split a warship in two, thanks to their powerful explosive charge,

USS Makassar Strait (CVU-91) breaking up on San Nicholas Island, California, where she had gone ashore while used as a Pacific Missile Range target ship, 22 January 1963.

USS Makassar Strait.jpg