1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
We are a non commercial community interested only in the discussion of all things military. We do not sell or authorise the use of images hosted on our servers, if you wish to purchase or use imagery contact the uploader directly.(you will need to register). Any requests received to purchase or use imagery will be ignored. Thank you and welcome to MI.Net
Dismiss Notice
You have been here as a guest for a while, I guess we are doing something right? Register as a member and join in the discussions, its completely free and we would welcome your contributions. All the best admin - MI.Net

photography Photo Imaging Software

Discussion in 'All Non Military Discussion' started by Reloader, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Reloader

Reloader Mi Lieutenant MI.Net Member

I recently got a new PC (Vista OS - but that's a different story!) and am having to install/buy some new applications, including a new printer/scanner and photo editing software, because my XP ones are not compatible. Obviously, I do not want to shell out a fortune if possible so, what I should be looking at?
    For example, I was considering the Canon Pixma MP220 printer/copier/scanner to replace my XP only Canon Smartbase MPC200, which has served me well.
    With the new PC, I got the free download of Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition 3.2, which gives me some basic functions for photo editing. But, is it worth buying the full product, or 'Photoshop Lightroom' or whatever? I definitely want to try and get away from just using the auto mode on my digital camera as well and get to know its manual operation a bit better.
    All suggestions gratefully received, thanks.

2. John A Silkstone United Kingdom

John A Silkstone Mi General MI.Net Member

My friend runs a computer shop and nearly every day he as at least one customer that comes in complaining about Vista and he changes them back to XP. He even tried it on his own set at home. It was incompatible and over 50% of his programs didn’t work, so now when he makes a new computer he advices people not to use Vista. Some have ignored his advice and have had to come back to the shop and have the program changed, which cost them extra.

I would never use Vista until that have sorted out all its problems. You may find it cheaper to have Vista removed and XP installed.

Silky

3. Matzos United Kingdom

Matzos Mi Captain MI.Net Member

We use Photoshop CS 2 across the RAF photo sections.

Adobe Lightromm is aimed at the true professional photographer, who has to process a large amount of digital images, looking at bulk processing of images. Saying that, I have tried it and like some of its features.

Photoshop Elements is another good piece of software, a cut-down version of the main program, great if you want to use on a low end system like an old laptop. Some companies include a copy in scanner or printer sales.

4. Reloader

Thanks, guys. Matzos, good tip about maybe getting something along with any printer/scanner. I'll maybe wait and see about that.

5. Reloader

I was browsing scanner/printer reviews online when I came across one that seemed to fit the bill. Got myself a Canon MP210 multifunctional - scanner, copier, printer at an absolute bargain price that I couldn't ignore. Paid less than £30 on Amazon for it, elsewhere it was £50 or more!
    I've since seen it in Currys/PC World at that price too, so I'm quite pleased. Didn't have any photo-imaging software with it, but just before buying it, I found some free stuff online from Google, which is good enough for my basic imaging needs at the moment:

http://picasa.google.com/download/index.html

Now looking for a reasonably-priced camera tripod!

6. Matzos United Kingdom

We have looked at 'Lightroom' if you have a lot of images to work on, then this is ideal. It has basic Photoshop tools, but my uderstanding that it work be mainly used say in a photographic studio setting.

Also have a look at GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program
    http://www.gimp.org/

A free replacement for Photoshop

7. Reloader

Cheers Matzos, I'll have a look at that. (Y)

8. ArcticWolf

ArcticWolf Mi Staff Sergeant MI.Net Member

Great thread with excellent advice. unworthy;
    I'm looking into studying photography at the moment, and I've heard nothing different from the advice given from the others.

9. Matzos United Kingdom

Just got my new posting, the Deference School of Photography, looks like I will be spending my last 4 years in the mob there :eek:

10. ArcticWolf

ArcticWolf Mi Staff Sergeant MI.Net Member

Dsop

Congratulations - they're getting a great photographer.

11. Reloader

Thinking of continuing with it as a civvie photographer when you get out Matzos?

12. Reloader

Welcome back AW - some photography websites that may be helpful:

http://www.photoanswers.co.uk/Home/

http://photo.net/

http://www.harphampix.com/v2/index.php

http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/myfuji/

There are many out there. These are just a few that I have had a look at. I'm a member of the Fuji one, only because I have a Fuji camera, but they have a very good 'hints & tips' section & photography discussion forum.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2008
  13. Matzos United Kingdom

I'm looking at getting a job within one of the archives, that's what I would like to do. Will have to wait and see.

14. Reloader

Sounds a bit like the '30 - plus' scheme of the police. Hope you get your wish mate, sounds good.

15. Matzos United Kingdom

Just started using Photoshop CS4, big jump from CS2! :eek:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Think I may go back to CS2

16. Bombardier

Bombardier Admin & Arbiter Staff Member Site Admin

Hi Matzos

Im still finding my way around CS2..

17. Matzos United Kingdom

So am I , I think thats why am going to stick with it.

CS4 is the new one that we will be putting around all your sections later this year. So I got my hand on it first to have a look at it.

The problem is, there are too may tools, my idea is to move the photographers away from using too much Photoshop and they should be just using the skills they mastered during their training courses.

18. peghisap_madu

peghisap_madu Mi Recruit MI.Net Member

cs5 portable

Maybe this link will help you,,

but if you satisfied you have to buy it..

below site (portable cs5)

Sorry but no links to illegal downloads

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2011
  19. GunBunnyInaMAB

GunBunnyInaMAB Mi Lieutenant MI.Net Member

Just a tad late...

Hate to rain on your parade, but the topic you're commenting on was done in 2009!!!

solafsolafsolaf

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2011
  20. RyanChur

RyanChur Mi Recruit MI.Net Member

perfect things

looks like perfect things !