Video Pathfinders: Into The Heart Of Afghanistan

saiga

Content Mod
MI.Net Member
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Brave men, god bless them.
But why are they so exposed?
Why don´t they have at least bulletproof glass?
Is American-made ammunition that unreliable?
I bet that half of the local people they´ve talked to were snackbars from Taliban.

I don´t want to sound like 60s peace and flowers loving hippie mafia but I have to admit that after watching this document I´ve asked myself why are our soldiers even there?

Excellent video link @saiga

I will say that yes our troops along with many other countries are the bravest of the brave and they will always have my respect and admiration.
In answer to your your question about them being so exposed I would say that wrapping yourself in armour only reduces your freedom of movement and your fexibility, it adds weight to an already overloaded truck and reduces what gear you can carry. Tactics have to reflect your lack of protection.

Not sure what you mean by this?, its my understanding that the Taliban use Russian made weapons and ammunition.

I bet that half of the local people they´ve talked to were snackbars from Taliban.
Like the British Troubles in Northern Ireland it is difficult to know your enemy as they freely move around the local populous and blend in very well, this is something the British Army are used to dealing with and good intelligence helps in this regard. That is also why we have to force the taliban to attack so they can be identified easily and neutralised.

Speaking from a purely British point of view (although I am sure the same applies to all other countries) British troops were sent to Afghanistan “to throw out or destroy al-Qaeda and to prevent the country from again becoming a base that international jihadists could use to attack the West.” , although I accept there may be other political reasons this is the reason that I understand the most and I believe we have succeeded very well in that task.

Here is another reason why I strongly believe that our mission was just and worthy

Royal Marine Paul Warren (My Nephew)
Killed in Sangin, Afghanistan June 2010
Charlie Company, 40 Commando Royal Marines

Rest in Peace Spartan

I am truly sorry about Your Nephew...

Watch the video at 40:00, their machine gun gets jammed (?), the operator shouts "f*** yank round" or something like that, and I´ve seen more videos including the same issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I read your questions of American ammunition in context with the lack of armour (thought you meant the taliban were using it)
Its early and I am tired :oops:

That´s okay, I´m not certain I´ve heard it right, either (in the video).

No you heard it right even the commentator makes reference to his rant about bad american ammo.

I have never heard of this before though, perhaps the US farm out manufacture to foreign countries like the Philippines because its cheaper ?
We know what they say about buying cheap, "Buy Cheap Buy Twice"

Awesome video documentary about some of our Elite Forces.

Difficult to measure the success of our work in Afghanistan but never the less a worthy cause.