Other Post My Military Service

Roger

Mi Private
MI.Net Member
Some years ago I was a young soldier in the Austrian Army stationed in Vienna, Kagran, in the Karls Kaserne (Charles Barrack). That barrack was named after the Austrian Archduke Karl, who was the first general who had defeated the army of Napoleon at the near village of Aspern near the river Danube. He waited with his army near the swampy banks of the Danube expecting the attack of the French army. The Napoleonic army made then an stormy attack against the Austrians, but the heavy French cavalery sank into the swamp and could not move anymore and were therefore defeated by the Austrians.
One day we get the order by oure colonel Patzer to go well armed to the eastern border of Austria near Hungary. The train brought us to the border and we camped in a small wood near a hill. Oure leutanant informed us that the enemy would stay on the hill and that we had the order to drive him away. Some stupid comrates began to fire to the sky. That shooting noice was heard by the enemy on the top of the hill and a heavy mortar fire against us was the result. Some trees around oure camp were already burning. Oure leutanant threw a fog-granate and ordered us to run to the top of the hill to defeat the enemy. We ran through the fog and the enemy fired against us granates not seeing us exactly. Granates hited the ground and exploded on my left and right. We were all shooting by oure rifles changeing oure magazines during oure attack-storm. Then the enemy fire seized suddenly as we were nearly on the top of the hill. The enemy had fired too much and had no ammonition any more. All enemies had left their position on the hill as we finaly arrived there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your describe an attack in the second paragraph what war was that?