Photos Military Aerial Photography

Bombardier

Admin & Arbiter
Staff member
Site Admin
Advertiser
United-Kingdom
I have always liked Aerial Photography shots and @Matzos has uploaded many of them.
He is a retired RAF Photographer and I have enjoyed his uploads from his service days.

Here are a few (Not all from Matzos)and I will add to them as time goes on. Have you seen any aerial images that impressed you either in peace time or war.

RAF Greenham Common

RAF Coltishall

RAF Marham

Cologne 1945 showing a Panther Tank

Pearl Harbor WW2

Omaha cemetery

Bridges over the river Kwai

Last edited:
there are lots if this type of photo around I will dig some out

An aerial photograph of V2 rocket Damage in London World War Two

I had a quick search at the media here first and found this one of the Anzio Beach head in Italy

full

I had forgotten about that one @Slipknot

Arnhem Bridge
Taken just 7 days before the Para's went in. This image was used to plan the drop zones for the attack.

full

Nice work @saiga
Thanks for the telegraph link too, awesome stuff

Thank you. Gonna find more now that I don't have to argue about things I cannot change. There is ton of footage like this. I am amazed by how clear and sharp these photographs are.

If its amazing clarity you like take a look at this picture of the Millennium Dome in London
The image was taken by a Photo Recce PR9 Canberra of 39 Squadron RAF.
It was flown at approx 20,000 to 25,000 feet using a "wet-film" camera and not ditigal. Amzing stuff!

Wow! Paschendale is almost unidentifiable

Burma Photo Mapping Mission 1944-04 US Army Air Forces; World War II

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If its amazing clarity you like take a look at this picture of the Millennium Dome in London
The image was taken by a Photo Recce PR9 Canberra of 39 Squadron RAF.
It was flown at approx 20,000 to 25,000 feet using a "wet-film" camera and not ditigal. Amzing stuff!

I still think wet film is better than digital. In 2006 we were flying at 30,000 shooting in colour and you could easily make out ground detail. I will see if I can find one of the images I saved and post it.
Currently sorting through a number of WW2 recce images mainly covering the hunt for the V2 rocket sites, Operation CROSSBOW, once sorted I will drop them into the Aerial Photo album.