Terror Leader of ETA Basque rebels arrested in France

Good news, but I wonder why just now,since his whereabout was well knowing since years.

I don´t know what exactly is the political movement of the Spanish governement that implies this detention.

Good news, but I wonder why just now,since his whereabout was well knowing since years.

I don´t know what exactly is the political movement of the Spanish governement that implies this detention.

Sounds more like he's handed himself in or made sure the right people know where he was to make sure he gets the medical attention he thinks he deserves . A bit crappy really but what can you do.....

Sounds more like he's handed himself in or made sure the right people know where he was to make sure he gets the medical attention he thinks he deserves . A bit crappy really but what can you do.....
It´s impossible to anyone to be hiden form authorities during 17 years in a country like France. Much less for someone so well-known as this man.

So the logical conclusion is that they were not interested in imprison him.

They are some known data that could pu some light in this matter, one is that Josu ternera was one of main contact persons of ETA during the conversations with Spanish governement to achieve the ceasefire and the ETA disolution.

So the question is...What changed for to jail him now and not during all the past years?

I add something more, I assume that arresting him was a decission of the Spanish governement, not France´s, but I can be wrong.

It´s impossible to anyone to be hiden form authorities during 17 years in a country like France. Much less for someone so well-known as this man.

So the logical conclusion is that they were not interested in imprison him.

They are some known data that could pu some light in this matter, one is that Josu ternera was one of main contact persons of ETA during the conversations with Spanish governement to achieve the ceasefire and the ETA disolution.

So the question is...What changed for to jail him now and not during all the past years?

I think that's a fair appraisal that he was in regular contact with Spanish authorities . My opinion , they used him to "keep the peace " . He knew the whole organisation from top to bottom , anyone broke the ceacefire within ETA and he would be the one to enforce retribution . Keep your friends close ,your enemies closer and all that . Now of course he is an sick man so unable to continue those tasks so they have no choice but to bring him in .