Intro Hello all

druid_ian

Mi Private
MI.Net Member
Druid_ian reporting for duty sal;

Found this site by accident really, I was looking for info on WW1 artillery and found myself here. I liked what I found so joined up.

Served my time in the Royal Air Force as a Air Photographer from 78-87
Trained at RAF Cosford then moved on To RAF Lossiemouth until 82 with a little tour to Ireland in 80. I then moved to RAF Northolt 82-83 fitting a Tour in of the Falklands in 83. I then moved to RAF Brampton 83-87 again fitting in a tour in Ireland in 85 before demob in 1987

Now working as a Prison Officer first at the oldest Prison in Europe HMP Lancaster Castle (see picture) and have just moved 26 miles down the road to HMP Preston jud;

Glad to have found a fellow Air photographer in Matzos who seems to have been to a lot of the same places as myself

All the best

Ian

Attachments

• lancaster_castle.jpg
    lancaster_castle.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 177
  • 1castle.jpg
    1castle.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 138
Hello Druid_ian and welc. to the site.
Your pic of the main gate of HMP Lancaster reminds me of our first visit to the Morecambe and Lancaster area 20-odd years ago, looking for interesting places to visit with our young son. We found ourselves at the front gate there, with a policeman standing on duty (remember those days?). I asked him if it was open for visitors, to be told, "You don't want to go in there mate, it's a prison!". We had completely missed the large 'HMP' sign outside! Must have given him a laugh though. solaf

when I was working the gate we used to have 5-6 people a day try to get in, even in the depths of winter
in summer 3or 4 times that. try explaining to a japanese tourist that they can't come in. I've even had people insist that we were joking and try to push past to come in. laughsol;

First used as a prison in 1196

Last edited by a moderator:
druid_ian said:
when I was working the gate we used to have 5-6 people a day try to get in, even in the depths of winter
in summer 3or 4 times that. try explaining to a japanese tourist that they can't come in. I've even had people insist that we were joking and try to push past to come in. laughsol;

First used as a prison in 1196

Don't feel so bad about it now!! :)

Hello mate, welcome & look forward to seeing your pics and reading your posts.
Z

That's probably the coolest prison I've ever even heard of!!!

welc. You'll definitely enjoy this site! solthum

welc. mate, we will have to swap names of other Air Photos that may have crossed our paths. solthum

Welcome to our site Druid_ian. (Y)