1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
We are a non commercial community interested only in the discussion of all things military. We do not sell or authorise the use of images hosted on our servers, if you wish to purchase or use imagery contact the uploader directly.(you will need to register). Any requests received to purchase or use imagery will be ignored. Thank you and welcome to MI.Net
Dismiss Notice
You have been here as a guest for a while, I guess we are doing something right? Register as a member and join in the discussions, its completely free and we would welcome your contributions. All the best admin - MI.Net

Book Forgotten Voices

Discussion in 'All other military discussion' started by Bombardier, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Bombardier

Bombardier Admin & Arbiter Staff Member Site Admin

My father has bought me some books from the Imperial War Museum North.
    I have started to read one of them called 'Forgotten voices of the Great War'
    The book tells a brief story about the Great War and is compiled using short transcripts from audio tapes of people from that time including soldiers from both sides,school children from both sides and members of the public from both sides.

wwi.jpg

Here is an excerpt from the book.

Sergeant Stefan Westmann
    29th Division, German Army

During our advance through Belgium we marched on and on. We never dared take off our boots, because our feet were so swollen that we didn't think it would be possible to put them on again. In one small village the mayor came and asked our company commanders not to allow us to cut off the hands of children. These were atrocity stories which he had heard about the German Army. At firts we laughed about it, but when we heard of other propaganda things said against the German Army, we became angry.

army;

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    Black Pawn and saiga like this.
  2. Reloader

Reloader Mi Lieutenant MI.Net Member

This seems to have been the start of a series. I've also seen one called 'Forgotten Voices of the Second World War' and I believe there's a new one, 'Forgotten Voices of the Holocaust' and a similar one about the Navy.

Never read any of them, but they look interesting. Maybe someday, I don't know when though, with all the other ones I've got piled up to read and a mate who keeps adding to it! :eek:

3. Bombardier

I have read the book further and it is proving to be even better than I thought it would be. What amazes me about some of the accounts is that in the midst of the terror and misery some excellent humour arises.
    I found this one very very funny it describes an incident during the xmas of 1914 when the Germans and the British left their trenches and joined up together in no mans land.

Private Frank Sumpter
    London Rifle Brigade

Reloader : Yes I saw the Forgotten voices of WWII book and plan to buy it soon, if it is anything like this one it will be worth every penny. army;

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2005
    saiga likes this.
  4. Jack-Sparrow United Kingdom

Jack-Sparrow Mi Corporal MI.Net Member

Typical Squaddie Humour that Bombardier
    Love it !! :cool:o_O

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2015
    Bombardier likes this.
  5. Bombardier

Tickled me too very funny indeed

6. Razzle United Kingdom

Razzle Mi Lance corporal MI.Net Member

Only the Military could find the time in such dire circumstances to joke like this.
    Brilliant humour

unworthy;

Bombardier likes this.
  7. saiga

saiga Content Mod Content Mod

Bombardier likes this.
  8. BrassMonkey United Kingdom

BrassMonkey Mi Corporal MI.Net Member

This is very true although the books titled 'Bravo Two Zero' by Andy Mcnab and 'The one that got away' by Chris Ryan, I suspect are exaggerations of the truth.
    Mcnab makes no bones about the issues with Chris Ryan during that failed mission by the SAS

9. saiga

saiga Content Mod Content Mod

Didn´t read those two for obvious reasons :rolleyes: Holt Hartmann Vom Himmel! (I´ve read it in German, no idea what´s it called in UK or US) about the ww2 German fighter ace is a very good book too, and almost all books written by fighter pilots from Chel Ha´avir.

Razzle likes this.