Mil News Florida shooting: 17 dead

Bombardier

Admin & Arbiter
Staff member
Site Admin
Advertiser
United-Kingdom
Florida shooting: 17 confirmed dead in 'horrific' attack on high school – as it happened
  • Seventeen people – children and adults – were killed when a gunman entered the high school on Wednesday afternoon and launched an attack. Twelve people were found dead inside the school, two were killed outside the building, one in the street, and two died later in hospital from their injuries.
  • The suspect has been named by police as 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz. He was arrested at the scene and is being questioned by investigators.
  • The killer was armed with an AR-15 rifle and “multiple magazines”, police said.
  • Cruz was formerly a student at Douglas, but was expelled for disciplinary reasons. A teacher at the school said staff had been warned not to let him back on campus. The suspect had reportedly been receiving treatment for mental health issues.
  • Twelve of those killed have been identified, police said on Wednesday evening. No names of victims have yet been released, but Sheriff Scott Israel said a football coach was among those lost.
  • Fifteen victims remain in hospital: five in a life-threatening condition and 10 with injuries that are not life-threatening.
  • Students who had been at school with Cruz said many classmateshad predicted he could “do something” to harm them and that he had previously brought guns to school.
  • Teacher Melissa Falkowski said drills for a code red (active shooter) situation had been well rehearsed:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...-updates-latest-news-marjory-stoneman-douglas

A tragic event that will no doubt bring the anti-gun lobbyists flocking to the forefront in their droves.
My sincere condolences to the families of those lost and a speedy recovery to those injured

A sad day in the USA R.I.P to the souls lost and speedy recovery to the injured victims. I hope all the families of those affected get the support that they need to help them through this terrible time :(

The video is shocking, all those poor kids terrified and running for their lives, kids should feel safe in school, just awful

I am not anti-gun in any measure at all....but this to me is just plain madness. I do not believe the answer is gun bans in the US simply because I think that horse bolted decades ago but I cannot fathom the sheer number of episodes and the tragic count in dead and maimed.

I truly am shocked by the scale of the slaughter of innocents that takes place so regularly. :(

I do believe that people kill people not guns but the fact that a young kid can get his hands on a weapon like this and take his revenge is appalling. Imagine what a kid could do with a weapon like this one (or any for that matter) if he/she were bullied at school for example.

Personally I love guns but I am glad that Gun law and control is very strict here in Great Britain, that is not to say that guns are not present they are just in much fewer numbers and not so easy to get hold of, the cost of an illegal firearm is also very high so out of reach of most people especially those with the Psychotic tendencies of this particular low life.

What is the answer for the USA?, I dont know but it is fair to say that some stronger form of gun control must be on the cards now.

Please read the full text in the captions

Peter Wang is one of 17 people killed by a former student during a mass shooting on Feb 14 at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland. [Photo/Agencies]
In a related development, three junior ROTC cadets who were killed in the Florida school shooting are being honored by the US Army.
The Medal of Heroism was presented to the family of 14-year-old Alaina Petty at a memorial service on Monday, the Army said, and one was given to the family of Peter Wang during his memorial service on Tuesday morning. The family of Martin Duque, also aged 14, will be given the medal on Saturday, the Army added.
The medal recognizes cadets whose performance "involved the acceptance of danger and extraordinary responsibilities".
The US Military Academy at West Point is posthumously admitting Peter, who had spent part of his childhood in his parents' native China and had dreamed of attending West Point, friends said.
Peter Wang, 15, wearing his junior ROTC uniform, held open a door to allow his fellow classmates, teachers and staff to escape the shooting rampage, according to students and teachers.
An online petition to the White House sought military honors at Wang's funeral. It had more than 43,700 signatures as of Tuesday.
"His selfless and heroic actions have led to the survival of dozens in the area. Wang died a hero, and deserves to be treated as such, and deserves a full honors military burial," the petition said.
The petition needs 100,000 signatures by March 18 to get a response from the White House, according to whitehouse.gov.

Mourners attend the funeral service for Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student Peter Wang in Coral Springs, Florida, US, Feb 20, 2018. [Photo/Agencies]

The flag-draped casket of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student Peter Wang is seen at his burial service in North Lauderdale, Florida, US, Feb 20, 2018. [Photo/Agencies]

US military personnel fold the American flag which was draped over the casket of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student Peter Wang at his burial service in North Lauderdale, Florida, US, Feb 20, 2018. [Photo/Agencies]

Jason Wang, center, and younger brother Alex hold photos on Tuesday at the funeral of their brother Peter, one of 17 students killed at a Florida high school last week by a former student using an assault rifle. TAIMY ALVAREZ/POLARIS

Mourners hold flowers during the funeral for Peter Wang in Parkland, Florida on Tuesday.

I don't think anyone needs an assault rifle. Hunting rifles and shotguns? yes..handguns? yes....assault rifles..nope...

However...

US Constitution Amendment II RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS

Passed by Congress September 25, 1789. Ratified December 15, 1791. The first 10 amendments form the Bill of Rights

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone needs an assault rifle. Hunting rifles and shotguns? yes..handguns? yes....assault rifles..nope...

However...

Passed by Congress September 25, 1789. Ratified December 15, 1791. The first 10 amendments form the Bill of Rights

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Technically, talking about spirit and main idea of this law, we see that it protect possibility of local militia to fight against any potential dictator's government forces. In the Modern World it means not only assault rifles, but also tanks, jets, MANPADs and so on...

Please read the full text in the captions

However...

Very moving post, brought a tear to my, such a tragedy. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected