Q Answered Yeovilton Airshow Fatality

Herc15

Mi Sergeant
MI.Net Member
I heard a story the other day of a pilot who, after performing at the air day, was killed while climbing out of his cockpit when his ejector went off. Sounded true but i have been unable to verify it, would anyone be able to do so.

The only reference I could find was unsubstantiated

Yeovilton Navy Day Sep 1975 was marred by an unfortunate incident when the pilot of the Harrier was killed when the ejection seat fired while he was climbing out of the aircraft.

If it was indeed the 1975 show, it was on 6th September, however enthusiast reports from the event make no mention of such an incident.
However, the only two Harriers listed at Yeovilton that weekend were XV804 coded '45' and XW922 coded '49', both from 233 OCU.

I heard a story the other day of a pilot who, after performing at the air day, was killed while climbing out of his cockpit when his ejector went off. Sounded true but i have been unable to verify it, would anyone be able to do so.
I happen to be researching this and came across your post. I registered in order to reply to this. The story is correct. I witnessed the incident and can still recall it, even though I was only seven years old at the time.