Mil News WW1 Letters Found

John A Silkstone

Mi General
MI.Net Member
Copied this from a Sky-NEWS article today

Douglas Dover, an infantryman who fought in Africa and Italy, penned letters to his devout Christian brother working in China during the conflict
One was in the Army fighting in the Allied push through North Africa and Italy. The other was a pacifist working out of a warehouse in China shipping medical supplies.

Now a remarkable set of letters has emerged showing the closeness the two brothers felt during World War II despite the vast gulf in both miles and beliefs throughout the conflict.

The fascinating letters written by Douglas Dover to his non-violent brother Clarence have been recovered in a dusty cupboard - 68 years after the end of the war - by Clarence's daughter, June Cobley, 61.

In the letters, Douglas, who served with the Royal Army Service Corps, describes with remarkable good humour the daily fight against the Nazis in the harsh desert battles of Northern Africa.

In one letter, Douglas gives a remarkable account of an attack by German Stuka dive bombers, writing: 'All of them come down in a dive and let their bombs go.'

But he reveals how Allied Forces triumphed in the end, writing later in the same letter: 'Our guns and planes finished off nine of them.'

Douglas also writes movingly about the death of their mother, as well as the stifling conditions as he served in Africa.

The deeply personal letters show a unique and intimate record of a soldier’s war experiences – from brushes with death to boredom and thoughts of home.

In his first letter, sent from Egypt in May 1943, Douglas sets the scene for his pacifist brother thousands of miles away in China.
He writes how 'your lips and tongue go like leather' after being deprived of water for two days.

In another letter Douglas describes attacks by swarms of locusts and frogs before adding: 'The cup of char is the mainstay of the 8th Army.
'I remember in the push there was a sign which said, 'When in dowt brew-up'.'
The brothers’ mother Ada died unexpectedly of a heart attack aged just 54 back home in Nottingham in May 1943 and an emotional excerpt describes their shared sadness.
Douglas wrote: 'I know it will be a shock to you, I cannot believe it yet, or rather I can't take it in yet. We lost the one who we all loved so much.'

But the soldier has little time to dwell on his grief before describing an attack by German Stuka dive bombers.

He added: 'We saw about 20 planes high up and they slowly peeled off one by one. We soon got down when we knew it was us he was after.

'All of them come down in a dive and let their bombs go.

'The fourth one must have been hit as it went right down with smoking engine, and hit the deck at full speed. Then our Hurricanes came in and did Jerry run.

'Our guns and planes finished off nine of them. But we lost one man and a lorry through them.'
As the war in Italy drew to a close, Douglas’ letters revealed he had visited Rome, Florence and Venice before moving into Austria.
In one remarkable letter dated May 7, 1945, Douglas described the end-of-war celebrations and said his colleagues have filled up their water tanker with wine.

He wrote: 'Dear Clarence, Here's wish you well, I hope you are as glad as we all are at the news today (from German sources) that the war in Europe is now over.

'Churchill is expected to be giving a speech any hour now to give the official statement.'

Tragically the letters Clarence sent back to his brother never survived, but Douglas's letters provide a fascinating insight into the war.
Retired midwife June, who lives in Beeston, Notts, said: 'Dad (Clarence) never talked about the letters but I think they were precious to him as he adored all his family.
'I did know he had letters but he only showed me one when he was alive.

'My dad died in 2001 and mum died in 2002 and I saw the letters but they were left in a cardboard box in the loft.

'It took ages but I enjoyed going through them. They make me laugh and cry. Despite Douglas fighting the war and my dad being a pacifist, the letters show just how close they were.'

Douglas emigrated to Australia in 1960 and had four children with his wife Barbara before he died aged 67 in August, 1989 in Maryborough, Queensland.

After the war, Clarence became a successful export salesman and married Mary, who he had met through church youth groups.

He died in March 2001, at the age of 81.

Clarence’s daughter June, a mum-of-three, is hoping to type her uncle’s letters and produce a book for the family to keep as a memento of the brother’s lives across the continents.

She said: 'I am really proud of my dad for refusing to fight. I could not have done that at the age of 20.

'We never quite knew what his family's reaction was at the time but I have a letter from his mother in which she said she was standing by him.

'She wrote to him: 'I shall have the satisfaction of knowing that you have laboured for the benefit of peace'.

I’ll look forward to the book coming out.

Silky

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting story of the tragedy of war.