Quote/Poem Unknown

tosh66

Staff Sergeant
MI.Net Member
Who was it that said-
"They'll never hit us at this rang......."

Probably the mayor of Nagasaki who said "What the ***** was that"!

Quotes

"They'll never hit us at this rang....."

I think that was probably Custer at the Little Big Horn.

:mrgreen: :oops: :shock: o-

I'm fairly certain this was allegedly said during one of the battles of the American Civil War, and the guy saying it was indeed shot dead.
Derrick.

Slight miss quote,

Sedgwick, John "Uncle John," General (1813-1864)
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist--."
General John Sedgwick was a corps commander in the Army of the Potomac during the Civil War. At the battle of the Wilderness, while inspecting his troops, he approached a parapet and peered out over the surrounding countryside. His officers and men urged him to take cover from small arms fire, but Sedgwick scoffed at their concerns, "What! What men! This will never do, dodging from single bullets!", "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist--." As the general spoke his last words, he was shot in the head by a Confederate sharpshooter.

That's the one! As always, I stand corrected. Twas only a vague recollection.

There was a British Gen.-don't remember the name -who had very similar last words during the American Revolution.Believe it was at the battle of Brandywine but could be mistaken.

During the Civil War(more often known as "The War of Northern Aggression"in my neck-a-the-woods)famous last words included:Dam* the torpedoes,full speed ahead!".

Sorry Doc, that was Farragut at Mobile Bay and he won.

I believe George Armstrong Custer's last words were, 'Where the hell did all those aboriginal Native Americans come from?"

RW

Rotorwash, You gotta be so right about Custer. sal; sal; sal; laugh; laugh;

Back