Intro Just Joined up!

Bobby Silliman

Mi Recruit
MI.Net Member
I am here to help celbrate my friendship with a man that served aboard the USS Lexington CV-16 from 1943 through 1946. Edward Percy Atkinson is registered on the Ship's duty roster and resides in Mount Vernon, Illinois. Percy celebrated his 85th birthday two years ago on July 4th. Now at 86 years of age, Percy is still such an interesting man to be with and listen to.
I recently helped Percy obtain an original copy of his ship's cruise book titled from Tarawa to Tokyo. Inside the front cover of the cruise book is an attached envelope that contained a folded huge Combat Map that shows the location and routes taken by the Air Craft Carrier. The combat map highlights every engagement and battle that she participated in. The map is remarkable and very detailed! I purchased two of these 1945 original USS Lexington Combat maps on ebay ( made at the same time the ones inside the cruise books... these maps are now about 65 years old! ) and I asked Percy if he would sign my map so I could frame it and display it. Percy Atkinson did sign my map and also a photograph of the Blue Ghost as she sailed out of Boston Harbour on the way to fight the Japanese in the Pacific. Percy was a gunners mate and manned the 5" guns. He has great recall and told me that the kamakasi pilot that threw himself into the Lexington during one of the sea battles sent plane fragments into his left hand and he lost two fingers during that battle. I salute you, Percy Atkinson!. Your friendship is solid and honest.
If anyone here wishes to talk about the USS Lexington during her WW2 times I would welcome any discussions.
Best regards to everyone......
Bobby Silliman

Welcome Bobby.
Edward Percy Atkinson sounds like an interesting man (Y)

Welcome to the site! And veterans are always good for a good chat, even if they are Navy ;)

Back