Other Post Equipment evaluations

Templar 6

Mi Lance corporal
MI.Net Member
Rifle scope

Review: Athlon Talos BTR 1-4×24

In December of 2019 I took delivery of an “Athlon optics” riflescope, it’s the 1-4×24 “TALOS BTR” (Bright Tactical reticle) model. I paid full retail price for the scope. I advised the company I would be writing a review of the product. This is a very low priced optic and growing in popularity. The Athlon representative was fully aware of the rigorous testing this scope would be subjected to, and informed the company. They had no illusions of my goals and the method of testing to be embarked upon.

1586816548570.png

Upon delivery of the scope I inspected it at length; the optic was relatively clear, crisp and acceptable. I did note some very minor and slight blurring around the smallest portion edge of the optic, nearly imperceptible, and not what I would consider an issue, well within acceptable standards in my opinion.

1. I submerged it in water and placed it in the chilling section (42f-35f) of my refrigerator for 14 days. Once removed I dried off the optic and inspected it for leakage, or any kind of damage. It held up complete and maintained its water tight integrity.
  2. I placed the scope inside my freezer, dry, on a shelf without obstruction or shock. It was in the freezer for a period of 12 days without movement or tampering. At the end of the freezer testing the scope remained intact and clear. No damage was noted or discovered. The glass was as clear as originally delivered and intact at this point.
  3. I placed the scope in the desert in Arizona and buried it in sand for two weeks, during this time the temperatures were relatively mild and pleasant. It stayed above freezing and never was warmer than 68f. I retrieved it from the desert removing it from the sand. The scope was still clear, intact and just as I had left it when I buried it, clear and illuminating.
  4. The scope was dropped from a height of 6 feet on grass 50 times, this was repeated on gravel. The scope was wrapped in a towel to prevent damage to the body of the scope or the finish. The optic continued to remain intact, clear and the illumination continued to work as the manufacture intended.
  5. I mounted the scope on my Springfield “Saint Victor” 7.62 semi-auto rifle. The scope was sighted in and zeroed. The rifle and scope was drop tested 25 times on grass and a height of 5 feet. The rifle and scope were then checked for zero again to evaluate if the impact had affected the zero. The rifle and scope passed with no observed or appreciable shift in zero.
  6. The rifle and scope combo were taken to attend the “Gunsite” “battle rifle course”. This is a five day course, the student fires up to 1500 rounds of 7.62 / 308 in this period of time. The shooter fires from 0-800 yards on designated known distance targets.
  7. The scope and rifle combo the first and most of the second day of the course the scope functioned very well. At round 432 the scope ocular lens began to spin with the variable power adjustment.
  8. At round 467 the scope ocular lens was loose and moving during firing.
  9. At round 503 the scope appeared as if someone had taken a hand full of black paint and threw it on the inside of the objective lens, this partially occluding the reticle
  10. At round 551 the scope illumination failed completely.
  11. Now the appearance of the scope was like black over spray on the objective lens over the reticle. But I will say it continued to hold zero…in the for what it’s worth file.
  12. At round 580 the scope was replaced by another manufacture back up scope.
1586816698065.png

For more see the link for the complete article

Product review & evaluations of the firearms training device "MantisX"

Very cool and useful marksmanship and firearms training device.

"The MantisX is a small black plastic box containing a sending unit that attaches to the rail of your weapon; simply put it’s a smart sensor that attaches to your firearm. Its objective is to help you increase your shooting performance and better manipulate your trigger correctly. It tracks and sends that data real time to your smartphone or tablet recording for feedback. MantisX tracks and records your long term and short term performance for review giving you guidance, feedback throughout the dry and live fire practice session with numerous adapted innovative programs. "

See more details at the linked article

1587150731862.png

1587150791242.png

1587150833958.png

LaRue Tactical OBR 7.62 – Evaluation

This weapon must be capable of 1 MOA at 100 Yards. It must also be able to perform in the CQB and or defensive weapon role as a replacement of the M4 Carbines, issued as a supplemental weapon to sniper personnel. The intent is to replace the M4 and the primary Remington model 700 sniper rifle, with one system capable of performing to standard for both. This will reduce the number of weapons carried by operational personnel on missions. Team leaders will possess consistent and continuous ability to deploy precision weapons on all missions as situations develop and evolve.

So whether working a high risk warrant service, narcotics operations in remote areas (CAMP / C-RAT), escape pursuit, high risk transport operations and or other special assignments the team will have the availability to utilize a precision over-watch supporting capability.

Link for the complete article

1588525652959.png

1588525587570.png

1588525506456.png

1588525467768.png

1588525440188.png

The study found that some early steel helmets like the French "Adrian" of WW1 fame provided more protection from explosive blasts than the modern US Advanced Combat Helmet.

1665699464878.png

Image © 2020 Op ‘t Eynde et al. (unaltered from PLOS ONE), Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International.