Photos My Modelling Years

sas

Mi Staff Sergeant
MI.Net Member
Canada
...many many moons ago like back in the 70`s I was at home lounging around just listening to you got it 70s rock from LP record. My wife was out shopping at a nearby strip mall. She came home with the usual groceries and something else. Now she new I had grownup as an Army brat so she stopped in at the one and only hobby store in the city to see what they had and low and behold there was a Military Modeling Mag on a book rack,she bought it then the owner of the store said'ya know we have this kit on this cover if your interested right over here',she bought it!! So that`s the story of how I got started in the hobby ,oh ya the vehicle on the cover was the Katyusha Rocket Launcher!

...after I got going building every military vehicle in site I began to notice a couple of modelers that very much impressed me so they became my mentors and I studied their dioramas with a passion. Names,F. Verlindin and S.Paine!

...so I will attempt to post a few models very soon starting with some early stuff soon as I can get squared away.

...so first try.. British or Canadian Airborne-

airborne 8.jpg
airborne1.jpg
Airborne2.jpg
airborne3.jpg
airborne4.jpg
airborne5.jpg
airborne6.jpg
airborne7.jpg
airborne9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
...so far,what you all have to remember is that I haven`t built anything in over 3yrs,severe nephropathy of the hands... here is my Armoured Cat and yes they were used for road cleanup widening roads and general towing but more times than not found themselves at the front lines knocking down sniper infested buildings. I couldn`t afford a kit of a cat so I scratchbuilt the thing using brass sheet to make individual track links.

armoured cat1.jpg
armoured cat2.jpg
armoured cat3.jpeg
armoured cat4.jpeg
armoured cat5.jpg
armoured cat6.jpeg
armoured cat7.jpg
armoured cat8.jpg
armoured cat9.jpg
armoured cat10.jpg

...guess I should explain a thing or two before I continue,I was a lumber mill worker making a good wage and building lots of models then the bottom fell out and my health forced me into early retirement so had to move to the West Coast where I picked up where I left off,joined the Victoria Modelers Club and continued to build military vehicles. Did alot of mall displays with the club but started to get too much,too many dioramas and too many boxes so`oo had to downsize building only Canadian,British and American wwII vehicles. Eventually I ran out of space again so all of my work went to three military museums in my city,donated but still have access to for events.

Bergpanzer4_1.jpg
Bergpanzer4_2.jpg
Bergpanzer4_3.jpg
Bergpanzer4_4.jpg
bergpanzer4-5.jpg

...thanks very much to all you modellers,I have a purpose in mind when I found this forum and I`m pretty excited about this little project!! Most of my stuff is in museums but one in particular has the majority of goodies locked away in the museum warehouse and I can`t get to it,and it`s packed wall to wall! So my idea for doing this is one I think I still have a few ideas to offer in my models even if I can`t see to build anymore and two share some of my accomplishments from an old school point of view. The one thing I can say is old incorrect models can be built into a work of art and I have used many old models! Again thanks very much guys and gals and we`ll see you at the next posting!!

...so quite a few years ago I was reading a story in a Legion magazine about a certain group of Peacekeeping Canadian M113s in Bosnia,can`t remember who they were or how many they were,not to many I`m thinking and all they had to defend themselves were blades mounted on the front,50cals and tow missils! The story was if I remember correctly the Bosnian army with their tanks rolled into this town to make a big push in taking over but the Peacekeepers had other ideas and stood them down,the tanks left the town. I hope Bravozulu can fill in some of the story cause this old fart can`t remember that far back!! Nevertheless I did build those m113s but don`t think I have any picks of the dio,will keep looking. Here is a peacekeeping m113 I did prior.

Bosnia1.jpg
Bosnia2.jpg
Bosnia3.jpg
Bosnia4.jpg
Bosnia5.jpg
Bosnia6.jpg

...thank you Tigredelaire,I sure do miss building! Found a few more modern pieces I did,more m113s,m109 I think,m577 not sure and whatever the hell that 6x6 wheeled thing is!!

IMG_0979-1.jpg
IMG_0980-1.jpg
IMG_0981-1.jpg
IMG_0982-1.jpg
IMG_0983-1.jpg
IMG_0987-1.jpg
IMG_0988-1.jpg
IMG_0989-1.jpg
IMG_0990-1.jpg
IMG_1015-1.jpg
IMG_1016-1.jpg
IMG_1017-1.jpg

...many thanks Colin,more to come! So all of you are probably wondering about what I used to build with,well I can tell you that I didn`t use an air brush at all,no room for one and there is noway the kind of paint and washes used would go through it! Before I explain my painting methods let me tell you that I used a great many types of mediums in my models.Things were tested and things were re purposed to the point of being unorthodox,nevertheless things did come together. So not being wealthy enough because of my health I had to find an alternative for paint etc. and low an behold along comes bottles of every color in the rainbow from Micheals,I did say unorthodox! So everything was handpainted,I had all the colors I needed and my washes came out of those paints.Now I needed the look of dirt and grim accumulations,first trials did not do it for me,brushed on washes were just running off not drying on so got to thinking how about a syrup mix of white glue,black paint and water,that worked for me and it stuck,became my standard!! I was quite happy with it,I did figures the same way.

...above is the German version of the bridge and now we have the Canadian version where a group of engineers were putting the final touches on a bridge near a small town in north Africa.I had to change the dio from German to Canadian after I read about the story in an old military publishing which would fit in the museum displays. It was a relatively easy changeover as most of the work detail were shirtless all I needed was a heavy lifter and guard vehicle in one! There was one vehicle in mind and was already built on my shelf,the Sherman Recovery MKI.

bridge(Canadian)1.jpg
bridge(Canadian)2.jpg
bridge(Canadian)3.jpg
bridge(Canadian)4.jpg
bridge(Canadian)5.jpg
bridge(Canadian)6.jpg
bridge(Canadian)7.jpg