America and the "Troubles"

Hollis

Mi Staff Sergeant
MI.Net Member
TheMess.Net
I tried to explain a little bit about the IRA and the USA in another thread.

I know amongst English Military people this is a touchy subject as to why anyone would have supported the IRA.

History channel last night had a interesting program in the Irish Immigrants to the USA.

I did not realize the first Irish immigrants were from Ulster and where Protestants. Until 1830 they where the majority of Irish Immigrants, after 1830 Irish Immigrants where mostly Catholics. In the 1840's about 2 million Irish Immigrants settled in the USA. Out side of the American "Dream" they had no clue where they were going or what they were going to do. A few who immigrated felt it was a mistake. The Irish Catholics were not well received in the States, especially by the older established Protestant Irish.

Gen. Andrew Jackson, famous for the Battle of New Orleans and later President of the USA was first generation Irish. His mother, father and two older brothers where born in Ireland. By the age of 14 he was alone. He and his brothers joined a militia to fight the British in the Revolutionary war. Irish fought a disproportionate amount in the revolutionary war.

In the 1840's New York City had the largest Irish population than any other city in the world including Dublin. American Irish were becoming a powerful part of the politics and landscape of the new country.

(trying to remember all the interesting stuff, it was late)

A lot of the Irish immigrants held a strong dislike to the British and that was carried forward to modern times. A unique phenomena is St. Paddy's Day in the States, almost everyone is part Irish for the day.

It is no different than some of modern day Southerners view of the North because of the American Civil War. Sometimes it seem we are shackled to our pass.

When I was in the UK, I enjoyed visiting the Military Museums. What was interesting and, at times, sad, is when our militaries crossed paths either as allies or foes.

Hopefully the "Troubles" will pass and old wounds will be healed.

I hope this was a better attempt.

My father's family emigrated from Limivady around 1705 & settled PA. My dad, 5th generation American, still carried sectarian bitterness. Really did not like the 'Micks'.

I hope this was a better attempt.

You did very well mate (Y)

Your right, were are shackled to the past and in most cases that can be a good thing but history such as the American Civil War and the troubles in Ireland can slow progress down.

According to some in my familiy I have irish blood, but I also have french and scottish. I have no bad feeling for any, I accept what I am and what I am made of...what else can I do ?.

The Irish are a very proud and great people, I have met many and have disliked very few if any.

I do not pretend to understand "The Troubles" but I accept them for what they are...History, we are all moving on and thankfully so.

Good post mate (Y)