Photos Tankettes

NebrHogger

Mi General
MI.Net Member
United-States
These are images of various tankettes used in WW2. Of interest is their small size with proportionately thin armor.

Soviet "Object-217" experimental tankette
m4Object217.jpg

m4Object217.jpg

Full view of an Object 217
m5Obj217.jpg

Soviet T-27 being passed by German track
m6SovT27.jpg

Italian flamethrower tankette - probably in Ethiopia
m7ItalL7.jpg

SdKfz-301 beside a "Goliath"
m8sdkfz301.jpg

Italian CV-33s in the Eastern Front (trucks are Alfa Romeos)
m9CV33AlfaRomeo.jpg

French Renault UE in German hands
m10RenaultUE.jpg

Italian CV-33
m11ItalCV33.jpg

Japanese Type 94 in Soviet hands
m12JapType94.jpg

Captured Polish TKS
m13PoleTKS.jpg

Polish TK-3 tankette
m14PoleTK3.jpg

German soldier plowing a French field with a UE tankette
m15RenaultUE.jpg

German UE captured by British soldiers in Italy. Notice the German Notek light.
m16CapturedGermUEitaly.jpg

Italian CV-35s in Ukriane
m17CV35Ukraine.jpg

Italian CV-35
m18CV35Partisan.jpg

Renault UE in German service
m19enaultUE.jpg

French UE that had been used for transporting ammo
m20UE.jpg

UE-630 (F) with tracked trailers
m21UE630WithTrailers.jpg

With that little ground clearance, I'd hate to sit in one with a landmine underneath.

With that little ground clearance, I'd hate to sit in one with a landmine underneath.
Lol, a decent rifle would and did put paid to these.

Although invented by the U.K., we never took them to war. We developed them into the Bren gun carrier, and into a full light tank, with 15mm gun, plus mg in turret. Overall a reasonable success. Hell you could wonder if we deliberately sold the design to so many schmucks......

Well, if you will excuse the national bias I tend to think the way the modern Wiesel weapons carrier is deployed is the only set of tactics that offer a reasonable hope for success: hit and run, preferrably from cover to cover. Against this backdrop, it's astonishing to read that tankettes were widely used in mass attacks as "mini-tanks" in the early years of WW2.

german took wiesel tested in thailand for army,tested pass,but very expensive,was failed deal!

Well, if you will excuse the national bias I tend to think the way the modern Wiesel weapons carrier is deployed is the only set of tactics that offer a reasonable hope for success: hit and run, preferrably from cover to cover. Against this backdrop, it's astonishing to read that tankettes were widely used in mass attacks as "mini-tanks" in the early years of WW2.

Making a wild guess here: The latter may have owed to the mindset of old cavalry commanders. Swap your horse for a tankette and proceed to business as usual.

Back