Photos RAF Defford

ENGINEER

Mi Staff Sergeant
MI.Net Member
RAF Defford was secret electronic counter measures development base that played a crucial role during WWII. There is much information out there "in the wild "about the base and this post is not going to cover that. It was built in 1941 and closed in 1957 and has become absorbed into the landscape and become woodland and farmland since then. Some of the military accomadation is preserved at Croome Park owned by the National Trust and there is a museum Here is a late 40s or erly 50s aerial view of the base showing some old WWII aircraft and possibly Gloster Meteor jets parked around the airfield
Defford-AP.jpg
The area of interest here is at the bottom just left of centre.

BASE.JPG

To the South of the main runway at the side of the track from the Countrywide depot runs a former peripheral airfield road. Only the footprint of the larger building to the North remains now and the site has been exposed by total woodland clearance and it shows the hardened shelter from air raids that services the huts adjacent. This is more or less intact. So I took some photos of it and the stamped bricks it was made from. Looking into it I am unsure of the maker aside from B B it says nothing. I don't think it is Barnett and Beddoes as there is no Staffordshire Knot but it could be Bovingdon Bricks of Towcester Herts which is a long way to bring them in 1940. So here are the pictures. The site is probably worth of preserving having seen active use during attacks.
IMGA0596.JPG

South entrance with the eath protective banking.

IMGA0598.JPG

IMGA0600.JPG
IMGA0602.JPG

The bricks stamped BB

IMGA0597.JPG

LookingNorth

IMGA0601.JPG

From the top of a wall

IMGA0604.JPG

Looking South

Last edited:
Back