Article Operation Frequent Wind 29 April 1975

Thanks ..the funny thing was we were so busy that I do not remember seeing media or photographers on the flight deck. But apparently they were there!

Ya' how you see videos on youtube to claim to have some are footage or long lost film etc...etc? Well this one does. This film was taken aboard USN ships during Operation Frequent Wind. The first part appears to be aboard Midway. Looks like some CIA/Air America types coming aboard. At 2:45 is the rare part you will USAF CH-53 Jolly Rogers air lifting RVN AF F-5s and A-37s aboard Midway. The first part of the last part of the film appears to be aboard USS Okinawa and perhaps USS Blue Ridge. Blue Ridge is still in service as 7th Fleet Flagship. Most of this film was taken aboard Midway.

This happened in Thailand in early May of '75. Midway had dropped off Vietnamese refugees and others in Subic Bay. In the meantime the Republic of Vietnam Air Force had flown many of it's aircraft to US AFB Utapao. Midway was ordered to Thailand to load up those aircraft and ferry them to Guam. When Midway got to Guam the aircraft were craned off the ship. What ever happened to those aircraft I do not know.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ya' how you see videos on youtube to claim to have some are footage or long lost film etc...etc? Well this one does. This film was taken aboard USN ships during Operation Frequent Wind. The first part appears to be aboard Midway. Looks like some CIA/Air America types coming aboard. At 2:45 is the rare part you will USAF CH-53 Jolly Rogers air lifting RVN AF F-5s and A-37s aboard Midway. The first part of the last part of the film appears to be aboard USS Okinawa and perhaps USS Blue Ridge. Blue Ridge is still in service as 7th Fleet Flagship. Most of this film was taken aboard Midway.

This happened in Thailand in early May of '75. Midway had dropped off Vietnamese refugees and others in Subic Bay. In the meantime the Republic of Vietnam Air Force had flown many of it's aircraft to US AFB Utapao. Midway was ordered to Thailand to load up those aircraft and ferry them to Guam. When Midway got to Guam the aircraft were craned off the ship. What ever happened to those aircraft I do not know.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Wow, interesting! I never knew about the F-5s and A-37s getting airlifted aboard. Looked like quite a few of them!

Wow, interesting! I never knew about the F-5s and A-37s getting airlifted aboard. Looked like quite a few of them!

I'm not sure mind you but I do believe it was about 100 aircraft total. anyway that's what the captions say..

Midway on the way to Guam after lifting aboard over 100 aircraft in Thailand.

More PIX of USS Midway in Operation Frequent Wind here >>>>>http://www.midwaysailor.com/midway1970/frequentwind.html