Intro Intro for JJ

JJ.the.VFOG

Mi Recruit
MI.Net Member
Good morning all.

JJ the VFOG
Very far away and long ago I was drafted into Uncle Sam's Army (March 1968),, during basic at Ft Jackson, SC, I was offered the opportunity to go to either the rotor-wing school or OCS or possible both,, I elected OCS, the job paid better.. The 1st weekend we had off,, watch a new John Wayne movie,, The Green Berets,, talk about sci-ops...

So, I'm off to Artillery OCS,, Ft Sill, Ok,, unfortunately after FDC,13E20, I was told that they didn't need more cannon fodder,, but they had an opening in the Infantry School,, back East to Ft Benning I go..

I graduated OCS in March 69, immediately followed by jump school,, with an assignment to Co C, 3 Bn, 6th Gp SF, Ft Brag. Summer of 69 I managed to attend the IMA Underwater Operations Course in Key West, currently called the Special Forces Combat Divers Course. We started with 76 and graduated 11.

By December I had orders for Nam, upon arrival I was assigned to the Co D, 2/7th, 1 Bg, 1st Air Cav Div. By May 5th, my platoon was one of the 1st to enter Cambodia,, on May 10th I lost a hand grenade tossing contest,, with an NVA fellow hiding in a bunker. I spent the next three months in the loving hands of Uncle Sam's Hospital system,, Mostly at Camp Zama, Japan. I returned to Nam in August, was assigned 1st Cav, XO of Div Hq Co Forward, completed my tour as a semi-REMF..

Upon separation in January 1971, I returned to my home in Florida, and soon afterward found a slot in Co C, 3rd Bn, 20th Gp SF ABN, FNG, Ft Lauderdale. I served there for the next 5+ years and qualified for my Flash. I had a bad jump and was told I had to switch to a leg transportation unit,, or resign my commission.. I left 20th Gp SF in January 1976.. A most unhappy person..

My primary civilian occupation was with IBM. I retired as a senior systems designer after 30 yrs, 1997. At that time the wife & I moved to the Florida Keys and lived on Big Pine Key for 16yrs. Then we started chasing G-Kids, Currently live in NOVA.

My tag line: I drink whisky, smoke cigars and know stuff

DOL
Jim
Life Member of: SFA, D-9312, VFW, MOPH

Am fear nach gleidh na h-airm san t-sith, cha bhi iad aige 'n am a' chogaidh
"He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war"
Old Gaelic

Great intro Jim and welcome again to the site, I think you will like it here mate (Y) ;)

Back