1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
We are a non commercial community interested only in the discussion of all things military. We do not sell or authorise the use of images hosted on our servers, if you wish to purchase or use imagery contact the uploader directly.(you will need to register). Any requests received to purchase or use imagery will be ignored. Thank you and welcome to MI.Net
Dismiss Notice
You have been here as a guest for a while, I guess we are doing something right? Register as a member and join in the discussions, its completely free and we would welcome your contributions. All the best admin - MI.Net

Hybrid War Hybrid War

Discussion in 'Hybrid War & Cyber Security' started by Bombardier, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Bombardier

Bombardier Admin & Arbiter Staff Member Site Admin

This is a new Forum that covers Alternative War or Hybrid War
    The definition as per Wikipedia of Hybrid War is:

US military bodies tend to speak in terms of a hybrid threat, while academic literature speaks of a hybrid warfare. For the purposes of this forum, these terms will be used interchangeably

We will see how much interest this forum gets , I guess you could call it a trial run ;)

hybrid war.jpeg

I would appreciate your thoughts on this new forum. Do you feel the subject matter is worthy of it having an entire forum of its own

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Astaran likes this.
  2. Astaran

Astaran Mi Recruit MI.Net Member

Good idea for a forum!

I'm a bit sceptical about how "Hybrid Warfare" is considered something "totally new" only because Russia is now doing it.

That's basically what Islamist groups around the world have been doing for the last two decades. The only difference now is, that a state actor like Russia can a) pour hell of a lot more resources into the effort and b) coordinate those efforts to a higher degree. than non-state actors.

However, I have the feeling that Western societies are still a bit helpless when it comes to combat the non-kinetics parts, especially "fake news". How do you shut down RussiaToday or SputnikNews (and associated agencies)? How do you identify and eliminate social bots on Twitter and Facebook? Should we (as the West) create our own armies of trolls and bots and unleash them on Russia?
    Those questions only deal with the government pov and doesn't even begin to deal with the poor consumer's pov. I mean, how the heck should I, as a consumer, identify what is fake news and what's not, when even "legit" Western media posts so much ill-informed BS (especially in military and law enforcement fields).

I think I'd like to throw a hypothesis for discussion into the ring: I think the poor quality of contemporary Western media makes our society especially vulnerable to foreign, subversive influence campaigns.

Two examples from Germany: At the height of the Refugee Crisis, Russia spread the fake news that a Russian-German child had been raped by refugees and blamed German authorities to cover it up. In the result far-right Germans and Russian-Germans joint forces and took the protests to the street. Later it became evident, that the whole incident had been fabricated by Russia.
    Also during the Refugee Crisis, a female student in Freiburg was raped and murdered by a refugee. At first German "state TV" did not report the incident, since they ("officially") considered it "local news" and therefor ignored it in their national news. After a major public outrage [edit: and accusations of covering the incident up], they began to report about the incident and the following trial of the perp (who received a life-sentence with and extended term of imprisonment on top).

Thus, the poor performance of the German "state media" in the Freiburg case (and the infamous New Years Eve in Cologne 2016 and several other cities) increases the vulnerability to additional "fake news" attacks against Germany in the future.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018 at 10:22 AM
  3. Bombardier

Bombardier Admin & Arbiter Staff Member Site Admin

Good post and thanks for taking the time to give me your thoughts on the forum itself, also examples of fake news.

One fake news item that I can remember from reading a BBC news item is as follows

In the hours after six people were killed and 50 injured in a terror attack in London, UK, on 22 March, a photograph was widely circulated of a woman wearing a hijab and talking on the phone on Westminster Bridge, the site of the attack.

Thousands shared the picture claiming the woman, as a Muslim, was indifferent to the suffering of victims around her. #BanIslam was one hashtag circulating with the image.

[​IMG]
    Image copyright REX/Shutterstock
    The woman in the picture released a statement and spoke of being "devastated by witnessing the aftermath of a shocking and numbing terror attack," after the negative attention she received.

The account, @SouthLoneStar, which first tweeted the image, was suspended by Twitter in November after being identified as a Russian bot.

So as you say, fake news and the use of bots is being employed already by the Russians and to significant affect and the purpose of this item of FN is clearly obvious.

Astaran and BravoZulu like this.