Book Hornblower

Drone_pilot

Mi General
MI.Net Member
As a follow on from the sharp thread has any one read/seen the Hornblower series. i thought is was a very good series true to life on board ships during the Nepoleonic wars,

Horatio Hornblower
Played by: Ioan Gruffudd

The title role in the series, Horatio Hornblower is the star of the show. He is the shy, awkward, 17-year-old who joins the Justinian as Midshipman, and quickly rises up through the ranks. His rise isn't easy though, and is met with many physical and psychological challenges along the way -- including imprisonment in a Spanish prison. His integrity, compassion and dignity never wanes and despite his early awkwardness, his remarkable leadership qualities are evident. He wins the respect of almost all the crew on board, and sometimes the enemy too.

From the Definitive Horatio Hornblower Website

C.S. Forester is another (and in my opinion, the best) master of Napoleonic seafaring fiction! I read all of the Hornblower books many years ago and of course, love the TV films.
He also wrote land-based Napoleonic books too, 'Death to the French' and 'The Gun' are two that I can remember.
Of course there's also the magnificent 'African Queen' of Bogart/Hepburn movie fame, bringing us up to WWI.
Still on a WWI theme, he wrote one of the best books I have ever read about one man doing his duty, 'Brown on Resolution', where a solitary Royal Navy seaman takes on a German warship single-handedly.
All great stuff. (Y)

The Hornblower series is one of the best shows on this particular era. It seems to treat all involved with equal respect, even the French and the Spanish, admirable enemies. My favorite show is the one where Horatio and crew are captured and imprisoned in Spain and yet he still volunteers to save the crew of an enemy ship that is floundering on shore in a storm. He gives his word, to not escape and the Spanish give him their trust and permission to try a rescue. After the rescue, he is picked up by the English, but he refuses to remain free and insists on returning to Spain as a prisoner. His crew has such high regard for Horatio and his honor, that they also return as prisoners. The English Captain also has high regard for the word given by an English officer, and allows the surrender to happen. The Spanish are so impressed with this action, they in turn grant a pardon to Horatio and his men, and grant them freedom. All of these actions were about honor, given and received and returned, by enemies who had mutual respect for each other. Don't we all long for those days again, I know I do. Semper Fi

Don't we all long for those days again, I know I do. Semper Fi

Absolutely mate, Honour is very important however I doubt we will see this kind of thing hapen again, we are fighting a very different enemy now.

I too like the Hornblower series I remember well the episode 'LOYALTY' where Hornblower is demoted to lieutenant, and on half pay, stuck in plymouth he has to pawn his belongings to pay his rent.

Back