Question? HMS Brave Swordsman Model help

Bombardier

Admin & Arbiter
Staff member
Site Admin
Advertiser
United-Kingdom
I received this email from a modeller requesting help.

Hello Research Unit, I am currently building a 5 foot model of HMS Brave Swordsman, A Brave Class fast patrol Boat. I have finished the hull and at present I am about 95 % finished the building of the 2 , 40 m.m. mark 9 Bofors guns. I have searched the internet for and with the many photos I , have of the gun, I have been unable to locate a side elevation picture of the Item I wish to build. I have an excellent top elevation drawing of the gun from plans I purchased off John Lambert some years ago. The side elevation drawing of the item is not shown unfortunately, thus my request.

The item is The "over centre catch " or catches that are fitted to the top of the outer gunlayer's seat compartment, these hold the removable steel covers in place when the gun is not being operated.

For the gunlayer to operate the gun, he must remove the 2 " over centre catches" then move 1 cover forward and lift the rear top cover up, before opening the compartment door and seating himself inside to operate the gun.

You may wonder why I want this small Item. Well I am a fan of the Brave Class patrol boats having built 2 previous working models . The first , a 3 foot model and the second was a 6 foot model. Both boats I sold many years ago and this boat I'm building is to be built with as much fine detail as I can put into it's finish.

The hull is completed and so far the 2 guns have taken me 2 years to build. I have only 2 items to build for each gun, they are :- The training buffer handle and assemblies and the over centre catches then disassemble one gun and paint them both before reassembling.

Photos of the gun and hull can be seen on website " Coastal forces Models" under Forum, scroll down to topics, then open on subject HMS Brave Swordsman.

Yours sincerely,

Mike Harrison.

Here is the page he refers to
http://cfv.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=633&sid=cbaf3b3d1aae8d3d618d8e54f604edcd

And here are the unfinished guns he speaks of

hms brave swordsman guns.JPG

2017 Bofor Gun pics 001.JPG

Awesome skills Mike :)

More info about The Brave Class Boats

brave class patrol boats.jpg

The Bristol aircraft Company engine division were in the forefront of using gas tubines in a marine environment, an area that the Rolls-Royce engine division has continued. In the 1950's the Royal Navy commisioned two boats to be built by Vospers at Porchester, HMS Brave Swordsman and HMS Brave Borderer, both would be powered by 3,500 hp Bristol Pegasus gas turbines that had been developed for the Britannia.

Publisher Rolls-Royce Limited - Industrial and Marine Gas Turbine Division
Contributor Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust
Creator corporate name - Rolls-Royce Limited
Date creation - Circa 1958
Source Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust
Language EN
Relation larger context for - Fast attack craft
Coverage Location.Creation Site - Filton
Rights Rolls-Royce Limited - Industrial and Marine Gas Turbine Division

http://www.transportarchive.org.uk/getobject.php?rnum=G2275&searchitem=N&mtv=G4&pnum=15

A video with some closer shots of the bofors and other ares of the boat. Thisis likely 'Brave Borderer' but they are identical boats arent they?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have emailed Rolls Royce for help, lets see what they can do.

Well I received a reply from the Royal Navy. They didnt have any detailed photos of the Bofors guns but did send me some blueprints that I have now sent on to Mike, I hope they are of use to him. I cannot post them here because I have been told in no uncertain terms they are not for redistribution.

I await a reply from Mike as to how useful they were ;)

It seems that whilst I was waiting for the Royal Navy, Mike had been sent some very detailed photographs of the Bofors Mk9, he has informed me that the model he is making will be fully functional and may take him a few more years. Good Luck Mike :)

The Mk9 was a Mark I am very familiar with from my early RAN days and from my time on patrol boats....loved banging rounds out of the 40/60 although the M2 .50cal was always my favourite by a long shot mil-smile03

the design of the hinge fitting of the scuttle hatch
If you look at any images for HMS Cavalier or HMAS Vampire, both are museum ships with 000's of images online. Cavalier was late 40's and Vampire early fifties. Both have the scuttle fitting you are looking for. (Y)