Mil News Flora Sandes

ENGINEER

Mi Staff Sergeant
MI.Net Member
" Sgt Sandes, an infantry soldier in the Serbian Army, lay semi-conscious on the snowy hillside after taking the full blast of a Bulgarian grenade, and would later recall being wrapped up and bundled away like a rabbit in a poacher’s sack.

“I could see nothing,” the trooper wrote. “It was exactly as though I had gone suddenly blind; but I felt the tail of an overcoat sweep across my face. Instinctively I clutched it with my left hand, and must have held on for two or three yards before I fainted.

“The Serbs have a theory that you must not give water to a wounded man because they say it chills him, so they poured fully half a bottle of brandy down my throat and put a cigarette in my mouth.

“I caught the little sergeant who had helped carry me watching me with his eyes full of tears. I assured him that it took a lot to kill me, and that I should be back again in about ten days”.
An amazing and inspiring news item from the BBC. Very interesting. Mostly forgotten but we will remember them.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/A_forgotten_soldier

An amazing and moving story mate, thank you for sharing it and reminding me that British Heroes lie in peace in so many places around the world. I will make an effort to visit some of them on my travels with my motorcycle next year. Greece my be a bit of a push on my bike so If I go there on holiday with my family I will definately pay them a visit

Back