Courage

03Fox2/1

Corporal - USMC
MI.Net Member
A new but accurate definition of courage, in my opinion. "Anyone that enlists or reenlists in the United States Marine Corps, currently deployed and fighting in Iraq". The Marine Corps is offensively trained and equipped to take the battle to the enemy and is willing to suffer casualties to accomplish the mission. Men like this are not as common as men that avoid military service are.
In addition to the inherent dangers of enemy contact and the blatant disregard of all international rules of war and the Geneva Convention by our enemies, our young troops must at all times be above and beyond any compromise of our standards and rules of engagement. Any and all violations of these rules can and will be investigated and it is very possible to be brought up on crimminal charges if any violations can be substantiated. A war crime is inexcusable but there are explanations that need to be explored, there are many that share guilt in this matter.
And this is only a small part of what a Soldier/ Marine has got to endure for a nation that seems to worry more about the rights of our enemy and the public perception of America's fighting men as being above any transgressions, instead of what our fighting men actually are subjected to. Still our enlistments and reenlistments are high and many of our young Marines are on their third or fourth tour of duty in a combat zone.
Yes, I believe this qualifies as a new definition of courage. This entire episode reminds me of what my generation endured in Vietnam.
Semper Fi, 03Fox2/1

Here is another article in today's newspaper by Associated Press:

June 1, 2006
The Charlotte Observer

MARINES TO FACE CHARGES IN SHOOTING

San Diego-- Military prosecutors plan to file murder, kidnapping and conspiracy charges against seven Marines and a Navy corpsman in the shooting death of an Iraqi civilian in April, a defense lawyer said Thursday. The eight men are being held in the brig at Camp Pendleton Marine Corps base north of San Diego, said Jeremiah Sullivan III, who represents one of the men.
The men served in Iraq with the 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, and are members of Kilo Company. The highest-ranking serviceman is a Staff Sergeant.
Sullivan said he learned from Marine Corps lawyers that official charging documents could be given to the defendants as early as today.
The Iraqi man was killed west of Baghdad on April 26. His death is unrelated to the shootings of civilians in the western city of Haditha. AP

Back